Colostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Jeanninejs06

I have had a colostomy for about a year. It has been backed up for about 3 days, yesterday it passed painfully LG. Marble-like substance. This morning I have a small amount of blood from my rectum along with a small amount of tissue-like substance. No pain. Does anybody know what is happening?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

Jeannine,

I have an ileostomy, so I'm not sure I'll be of much help. But colostomates talk about irrigation. Do you practice this? Slight blood and mucus from the rectum is normal after ostomy surgery. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Jeannine.

Bain is quite right ( someone else will chime in!). All sorts of stuff can come from the rectum for quite some time after surgery. It is usually part of the healing process and at first it can be mixed with congealed blood and come out hard/ soft/ runny, different coulours, smelly or neutral etc. Mine used to cause me pain because previously I had a prolapsed rectum and any pressure would aggravate it. I resolved the problem by anal irrigation but would not recommend my own technique to anyone who had not been fluent with the process before.  Bain is also right to steer you towards irrigation of your stoma if that is at all possible for you. It's not for everybody but those who can do it, free themselves of the daily tedium of wearing a bag and having output at times when it is inconvenient. I irrigate in the early evening so that any residual output is dealt with before I retire for the night. After that there will be no output until the next night's irrigation. Some people manage to irrigate at longer intervals, but I found that I can only last for about 30 hours  before getting output so a daily 24hr routine suits me best. The other thing about stoma irrigation is that I do not get any problems with blockages because the irrigation clears it all every day. 

I hope this information proves useful

Best wishes

Bill

Mrs.A

Wondering how you are doing, Jeannine.....

Is everything back to "normal" now? Did you consult your doctor?