Safe alternatives to irrigating?

Replies
Views
Head

Are there any safe alternatives to irrigating that yield the same result?

mild_mannered_super_hero

Not that I am aware of.... Does irrigation not work for you?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Head

I have not tried. I feel it is too time-consuming and complex. I want an easier way. Kinda like a cleanse with pills or a drink.

Angelicamarie
Good luck!!! Angel
Bill
Hello Head. Thanks for your post. Wouldn't we all like an easier way? Some time ago I read a reply to someone's post talking of a foam substance in a suppository form, but my emotional response to the concept was a bit like yours has been to irrigation. It sounded like a messy alternative which did not work very efficiently. It did occur to me 'Once' that Senacot might work in much the same way. However, I was violently sick and in agony when I took it and have not bothered looking for an alternative to irrigation again. One of the prices I pay for experimenting, is that sometimes what we try goes badly wrong. This was one of those occasions. The medication approach has its own drawbacks in that it tends to take all the nutrients out of whatever food is being digested, so there would be little point in eating it in the first place.( of course, if you don't eat, you don't get output - but then you starve, which is hardly a solution) I found that irrigation with a pump works best. Braun do a good (expensive)one but I made two of my own. The first was ah hand pressure pump adapted from a garden sprayer. The second and more acceptable to look at, was an adaptation of a battery operated camping shower with a plastic cereal container to holds the water and a temperature gauge taken from one of the gravity -feed bags and stuck on the outside. Relatively cheap but very effective.
I hope you manage to find something to suit yourself and if you do, I hope you come back and share the information. Meanwhile, I still think you would do well to try irrigation just to see how you get on. It is so much more convenient than wearing bags.
Best wishes
Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
mild_mannered_super_hero

I don't think you will find a safer or quicker method to empty your colon. Irrigation uses plain water.... Most laxatives I know of take 12-24 hours to work. Why not give irrigation a try if you qualify and THEN judge for yourself. Regards. MMsh

medic361

Irrigation takes about one hour, not that long.

Susanne

I have irrigated for over 2 months now and it is the best thing I have ever done. It only takes me 30 minutes at the most and all comes out, and I am dry all day. It has given me back my freedom and life in general and I am much more confident again being myself. It has eliminated a constant output and I feel really good. Anybody who can irrigate should try, as it is definitely not as time-consuming as some think. Good luck.

bendaily

(Not just a question for Head)
A question I have is how 'formed' is your output?
I have had 2 surgeries and now my output is almost entirely liquid. It varies from muddy water to the thickness of applesauce/oatmeal.
Another question - would irrigation really shut down output production?

rac

Hi! I had my surgery on January 26th. When I got home from the hospital, I had some issues with passing. In order to keep my output regular, I began drinking tea with senna in it. I drink this before bed, and while I am asleep, I excrete. Very minimal during the day. This, I feel, could be used in place of irrigation; however, it may be different for you. So far, it has worked great for me.

rac

Hi! I had my surgery on January 26th. When I got home from the hospital, I had some issues with passing. In order to keep my output regular, I began drinking tea with senna in it. I drink this before bed, and while I am asleep, I excrete. Very minimal during the day. This, I feel, could be used in place of irrigation; however, it may be different for you. So far, it has worked great for me.

Head

Thanks for your reply. I need to talk to my doctor about taking a laxative long term when I'm not suffering from constipation.