Need advice: Keep current situation or opt for colostomy?

Replies
Views
Bearably50

I had a rectal prolapse repair in 2016 at which time my rectum was damaged. I have been going through many procedures and surgeries since then. I had an ileostomy for 3 months while my colon was healing from one of the surgeries. Now my situation is that I no longer have an ostomy but I cannot control my bowels. I have an option of keeping things the way they are or I can elect to have a colostomy. Right now I am wearing depends due to bowel incontinence. I have a decision to make and would really like to get some advice.

Bill

uaHello Bearably50. Thanks for your post  as it is a very pertinent and valid question. Unfortunately there is no straightforward answer as we are all different and some conditions seem worse than others. After many years of struggling with feacal incontinence and a prolapsed anus, I eventually opted for a colostomy as a more 'convenient' way of managing the problem. Having to manage a stoma brings its own problems but they are nowhere near as bad as the alternative. I suppose the things I miss most about the old system is the incredible pain when the faeces put pressure on the prolapse and the tell-tale warm wet feeling as it overflowed the pads and trickled down the inside of my 'drainpipe' trouser legs.  I got on okay with a bag, but it was so much better when I started to irrigate and had no output during the day.  Upon reflection, I should have opted for a colostomy many years earlier but I was reluctant about the surgery and the unknown consequences. Not everything goes to plan all the time.  I hope this is useful to you and you make the right decision, whatever that is!

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Raine061

I had similar symptoms prior to my ostomy surgery but for different reasons. I have Crohn's and after years of rectal inflammation, the sphincter was no longer working. It completely changed my life as in I can actually enjoy it now.

If you are unsure about it, then I would delay surgery. It doesn't sound life-threatening which gives you time to adjust to the idea.

Bearably50

Thank you, Bill. It does help a lot. I have a lot of pain when I try to sit and force a movement. I am also concerned with having another prolapse, as this is my second repair. The pain can be horrific at times. I also feel excluded from many family and friends' activities. I tend to isolate due to the embarrassment of having an accident when in public. I have to admit I am seriously considering the colostomy. When I had the ileostomy, I felt more at ease being out and about and had very little pain.

Bill

Hello Bearably50.  They tried repairing my prolapse by lifting it and pinning it to the muscles near my spine. It did not work and the pain was unbearable. To give you some idea of how I feel about the situation. A couple of times  I have been offered a reversal of the colostomy and having given it full consideration I have decided that the stoma has little of nothing to do with the prolaps, which would still be there with or without a stoma. I therefore have opted to keep the stoma, be pain-free and have control over an unfortunate state of affairs. I would comment that chronic pain is a condition in itself, which many, who have not suffered with it  do not really appreciate as being so debilitating. What annoyed me most about it is the fact that it interfered with my 'thinking' time. I have too many other things I prefer to think about than pain and discomfort.

Best wishes

Bill 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Bearably50

I see my doctor tomorrow to discuss whether or not I should elect to have a permanent colostomy. A little nervous as to what he'll say and whether or not I'm making the right decision.

Kazza73

Hi lovely,

I have a rectal prolapse and a few other things in the rectum. I had it undiagnosed for 13 years and got really sick. I was in unbearable pain as you know yourself what that is like. I got down to 6.5 stone as well. I had a colostomy 8 years ago and have never looked back. I can now eat out again, I can digest food. I have regained mobility and have more of a life.

I have a condition called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Message me if you have any questions.

Regards

Karen

kbd

I think if you are wearing Depends, you are probably about ready for a colostomy. I was at that place right before my surgery. Most especially if you are still having surgeries and issues. But that is a decision you should make with lots of thought and consideration, and advice from those who know you best.

Bearably50

Saw my doctor today, and he has agreed to do the colostomy. He said he has to wait at least 3 months from last surgery, which means mid-August. I am somewhat relieved and a little nervous, but I know it is the better alternative. Thanks for all the feedback. You all have been very helpful.