Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,170 members

Excessive Gas Fix

Posted by honestabe, on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:46 pm

Have had colostomy for 4 years! Tired of burping bag constantly even after watching what I eat! I poke small holes in top of bag with toothpick. Don’t have to worry about quickly burping bag in front of people! It works! 

Last edited by honestabe on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Reply by Bill, on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 am

Great idea!

Reply by HarleyDoll, on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:29 am

Don't the bags with filters take care of excessive gas? 

Reply by Mrs.A, on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:16 pm

The bags with filters don't seem to to much for the gas, I suppose their more for odor since they have a small amount of charcoal.

A toothpick or pin hole is an interesting home remedy for those who have a solid output. I found out about pin holes due to my cat Wink. Tape is helpful if your out put is not so solid but you must be careful as it can also make the hole larger.

Reply by HarleyDoll, on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Thank you for that info!  But what do you mean tape can be helpful?  How do you use tape and what kind of tape?

Last edited by HarleyDoll on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reply by honestabe, on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:37 pm

Bags with filters won’t last a day,

Reply by HarleyDoll, on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Do you have solid output?  I can't see pin holes or holes of any kind working for me - lol.  The smell would escape as well.

Reply by honestabe, on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Have been using toothpick for couple of years, don’t have to worry about a surge of gas hitting in public, doesn’t leak either! Have liquid output!

Reply by Mrs.A, on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:51 pm

HarleyDoll,

As for what I meant when I said tape can be helpful, my output is not predictable, sometimes it's not solid and I have to put tape over the pin holes so they don't leak.

There is actually a product that I have used called Osto EZ Vent. I will attach a link that shows a video on how to attach it to your bag.

https://kemonline.com/content/howtoattach

Reply by melissaarnold40 , on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 pm

I have had colostomy 1 week today and every one at the hospital said no dietary restrictions however the gas pain pressure has bothered me all day. Any input would be helpful!

Reply by honestabe, on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:29 pm

It takes time! Get up and walk, you will have several things happening to you! 

Reply by Mrs.A, on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the forum. Abe is right as it will take time for you to find out what causes gas from what food you eat. A week is such a short time to do much besides heal. What about a over the couter medication like gasx or something like it. Gas can come from just taking in too much air from using a straw. There is much information on the site for you to read from past post. I found keeping a food diary helped me know what gave me issues. Chewing your food very well is the best thing but it won't stop gas.

Reply by freedancer, on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Yes!  Walking is a very good healing process.  The stronger you get, the better it heals and the faster it heals.  My re do surgery took a little longer to heal staples wise but I forces myself out of the bed and started walking as soon as I was able.  I got off that pain med real quick as well.

Reply by melissaarnold40 , on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:41 pm

Thank you so much for the tip you are right one week later many other issues it’s nice to have the support of others so I appreciate the comment

Reply by melissaarnold40 , on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:44 pm

Thank you for the insight it’s also very scary so all of your tips are very helpful

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.