Need alternative to Milk of Magnesia for pancaking prevention?

Replies
Views
jedijules

I don't have an ostomy, but my mom does, and I take care of her when I'm not working. The nurse put her on Milk of Magnesia to prevent her stool from getting hard because it was causing pancaking and thus making the appliance leak. My mom says that the Milk of Magnesia makes her stomach hurt. She is also on Tramadol for pain, which is giving her hard stool. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for taking something other than Milk of Magnesia to help keep things flowing. Thanks.

ron in mich

Hi Jedijules, have you tried fruit juices? Whenever I had a blockage, I would drink cherry juice or apple juice, or prune juice if she can stand the taste.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Hi Jedijules,

The normal things that we are told to stay away from because they cause a high liquid stool are some of the things she may need to even out the drug symptoms, like fiber. I eat Honey Nut Cheerios and bam, liquid poop! Anything in small amounts is worth a try! Also, I have used Citracel. It is orange in flavor and I add it to hot tea, and it is yummy!

Puppyluv

jedijules

Thank you Ron in Mich and Puppyluv56. I will try both.

Past Member

I have an ileostomy so I don't have that problem, but when I had cancer blocking my colon here is what worked like a champ.

Find a real apple orchard that makes real apple cider. I am lucky to have like five within a few miles. 10 ounces a day! It makes everything great.

Good luck!!!!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello jedijules,  I found that Metamucil is great at keeping stools to a decent consistency. I hope you find something for your mother soon.

Best wishes

Bill

jedijules

Thank you Dave and Bill.

AusRob

Hope it helps you, but my answer has always been lots of water.. every day, lots of water at least 6 glasses a day. This was drummed into me from day one by my colorectal surgeon... cheers.. Robert.

AusRob

Hope it helps you, but my answer has always been lots of water.. every day, lots of water at least 6 glasses a day. This was drummed into me from day one by my colorectal surgeon... cheers.. Robert.