Managing Ileostomy on Mexican Cruise: Tips for Swimming and Flange Security

Replies
Views
buddi

Hi,

I'm taking a 7-day cruise to Mexico in November and looking for suggestions on how to manage my ileostomy during the trip.

I'll be swimming in the ocean quite a bit and want to make sure things stay put. I'm very large so I already worry about leaks in public, which happen occasionally.

Does anyone know how saltwater affects how secure the flange stays? I use an Eakin Seal and adapt paste. Are there things I can do to make it stay on after swimming?

Thanks!

Bill

Hello buddi. There have been loads of posts covering these sorts of issues in the past and there have been some great replies to these posts. They can be found in the 'PremiumContent' section under  'clothing-swimming and ostomy'.  I don't have much to say on the subject myself except to say I hope you have a great time.   I hope that others will chime in to help. 

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,474 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

It is not so much the water as the heat and sweat. I use barrier extenders like Brava strips. Take twice the supplies you usually need; there will likely not be any on the ship. I have had to run around on vacation looking for supplies. It is not fun. I use a travel card to present to security just in case they have questions. Have fun. Do not eat too much. I have in the past gained a pound a day.

buddi

TjaTha very much. I forgot about Brava strips which will be helpful. Sometimes in the summer I'll put a folded paper towel between the pouch and flange to help with sweat.

Thanks again.

Puppyluv56

I too use the Brava Y strips! They cover a lot of area and if your pouch is lifted by stool, the Y strips give you extra time to get somewhere to care for yourself before it leaks! I wear them every day for my peace of mind. I use a two-piece system and only have to change it every 6-8 days. Just be sure to take double supplies of what you would normally use. (Just in case) I too am going on my first cruise since surgery in one month but since I have a pool in my backyard, I know the effects. Be sure to cover your filter if you have one, with the little tapes that come with your pouch, water does not get in the pouch but it ruins the filter and I think no longer does its job. The glue on the flange or pouch does get a little gummy as do the Y strips but it does not seem to compromise the pouch. Good luck! And have a blast! Puppyluv

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Jennberry

I went on the 7-day Caribbean cruise that summer. We went to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. I spent lots of time sweating and in the water with no troubles! I sweated the day out at Chitzen Itza, got in saltwater at Stingray City, climbed Dunn's River Falls, and spent time at the beach. My only leak happened on the trip to Galveston (car rides tend to cause leaks for me sometimes due to sitting with the seatbelt and position of body/clothing). On the trip, I changed my bag twice on the cruise. I did it at night before bed so everything had time to dry in position before the next day's activities. I changed after the saltwater because I wanted to avoid any trouble the next day in Jamaica due to it just being difficult to change.

Also, I've been to the beach two other times this summer with no troubles. I do wear a wrap under my swimsuit (as I do every day under my regular clothes). The swim wrap is for swimming and dries quickly. It's from ostomysecrets.

I hope this helps! Have fun on your trip!

Immarsh

Hi, I've cruised over a dozen times, Carb, as well as the coast of California/Mexico and Alaska. I've also gone on countless beach vacations (swam in the Dead Sea in Israel and snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, as well as other places). I should say I have had my ileostomy for more than 55 years. Back in the old days, management was unpredictable, so if I thought I needed to change (after water activities) I just did it. The newer appliances and moldable flanges are much more resilient, but often soften when one stays in the water extensively. I always use tape around the perimeter of the flange and if that remains wet, I'll change the tape later in the day. (Scanpor) tape was the best (paper-like and dried like skin). I believe there are waterproof tapes out there. I generally get a week's use out of a flange/bag, but when swimming (especially sitting in a hot tub) I may have to change an extra time or two... Take double and/or triple the number of pouches/wafers you think you might need, and always have tape with you. My one and only real accident was in the Dead Sea... as the very salty water caused the pouch to pop off the wafer. It was a mess, but tape solved the problem. I've never used a wrap, but it sounds like a good idea. I have worn a pair of lightweight panties under my bathing suit. Best of luck... and enjoy... Marsha

Puppyluv56

Hey buddy,

Never know, we may be on the same ship! LOL When are you leaving? What ship? I am going on the Sunshine on Nov 1st. Wouldn't that be great if you had an ostomate on the same ship! That would certainly be a nice backup in case supplies are needed or whatever!

Puppyluv

bryancohnracing

Have you looked into neoprene wraps, belts, etc? They are basically waterproof and fit you tightly, making the area around your body where the stoma is dry. Think mini wetsuit (or drysuit, I don't know my diving lingo) for your midsection. Here is an example I ran across a while ago.

Good luck and enjoy your travels!

https://www.stealthbelt.com/shop-now#in-the-water