Help anyone with a recto vaginal fistula?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Katchester28

Hi I wasn't sure where to post this as it isn't to do with ostomys. I recently had surgery for my recto vaginal fistula about 3 weeks ago. I have an illeostomy as well to stop the faeces from coming through. The surgery was an advancement flap. The fistula is quite big and close to the sphincter muscles so quite complicated. I basically had two surgeries in one as I had a vaginal septum which they removed and then used to cover the fistula with. If anyone has had surgery is it normal to still have gas through the vagina? It's making me think the surgery has failed. I have an appointment early December to go under anesthetic to check it has worked. I never saw the surgeon after the surgery it was just a registrar who just said it went well. Im so worried the surgery has failed : '(.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Raine061
Kat, I wouldn't think you should still be having gas come through. My advancement flap eas a total failure because of too much inflammation and scar tissue. I hope you get a good report when you see the surgeon.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
labjano

Kat I just had perineil vaginal fistula repair done on October 4th. A flap closure more invasive procedure was done. I haven't been able to schedule a followup with my surgeon because I live 2 hours away and my behind can't travel in a car for that long even with a doughnut. I don't think it was successful because i'm still having conciderable rectal pain. I think I've had too many abscess drainage surgeries resulting in too much scar tissue including 2 surgeries for my ileostomy. I hope your condition continues to improve and your pain lessons.

Jan

eddie

I have had the same thing as you my advancement flap didn't work, had 10 I and D's before being fixed ended up with ileo later but was done for colon rectal cancer if I can help in anyway message me eddie