Ileostomy Pain

Replies
Views
Mini-mo

Hi everyone.

Does anyone else have pain problems with both the stoma and the area around it? The swollen area is a perfect circumference from the spout across to my belly button. The area is firm and heavy, which affects my walking most days. The pain is a constant reminder that I have a bag. It's been 11 months since my surgery and I cannot achieve an equal profile on both sides of my stomach, unlike the pictures on the internet where the stoma pouches sit almost flat.

Maybe I'm just overweight, but how does one diet with an ileostomy? Apart from just living on nutritional drinks.

Thanks.

Bill

Hello Mini-mo. Thanks for your post and the description of your problem. I have never been overweight but I had a huge swelling of the belly area immediately after the operation and it took more than two years before it started to subside slightly. Even now, I have difficulty comprehending the reasons why I cannot seem to get the muscles back that I once had.  Like you, it seems to affect the way the flanges won't stick evenly  and that is why I made my own baseplates with two belts to hold it on. The top belt tends to be about 2-3 inches longer than the bottom one for a comfortable fit so you can imagine the difference in the circumference of my belly. The response from my stoma nurse was quite matter-of-fact in telling me that I had a hernia and that wearing a belt might help, at least to prevent it from getting worse. Although I looked 'fat', there was no insinuation that I was overweight. In fact, I had lost weight for the first time in my life and it was suggested that I try to bring my weight back to what it would normally be.

As for the pain. I did find that the hernia belt helped with this as it seemed to give support in the area which was most painful. My reasoning was, that the muscles had been weakened and were being stressed by the weight of whatever it would normally have supported. The belt just gave that extra support.

I hope you can find your own solution to these problems.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.