Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,316 members

I regret having my ostomy reversed.

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:57 pm
Bagface wrote:

I had my reversal almost 4 weeks ago and it hasn't been fun. For the first couple of weeks I was going 10-12 times per day. Doc put me Loperimide which knocked it down to 5 times per day, but the med made me so tired I could barely keep my eyes open, so he said to take only 1 at night as opposed to taking it 3 times per day. Still go around 5 times, so I'm encouraged by the fact that a lesser amount yields the same result. I can do light activity but get tired easily. Sometimes I feel okay and other times I feel like pure crap. Doc expects that my new normal will be 4-6 bms per day and that it'll take 3-6 months for things to settle in. I eat in small amounts and have lost weight-YAY! I read a lot of posts saying that this surgery was easier and that recovery time was faster. Well-my ass! I do. see small improvements so that's good enough for me. I can live with the more frequent bms and I'll have to figure out a system as time goes on. I don't regret doing this as I hated the bag and emptying out that piece of shit 8-9 times per day.

Hi. Try the LOW FODMAP diet. It worked wonders for me after my reversal. Recommended by my GP and transformed my life. No longer spend the whole evening in the bathroom. Book Ref is ISBN 978-0-09-195535-9

Reply by MarsManson, on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:30 am

I had my colostomy reversed in Jan 2019. After the surgery I had nothing but complications - internal fistula, abscesses, infections ... At the end of July I was put into an ileostomy. I will NEVER attempt to reverse again. I’m so mad at myself that I tried to reverse the colostomy to begin with because it made me so sick. 

Reply by Pirrip, on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:20 pm
MarsManson wrote:

I had my colostomy reversed in Jan 2019. After the surgery I had nothing but complications - internal fistula, abscesses, infections ... At the end of July I was put into an ileostomy. I will NEVER attempt to reverse again. I’m so mad at myself that I tried to reverse the colostomy to begin with because it made me so sick. 

thanks for reinforcing my own decision, the surgeons are all great people, all doing their best, dealing with our insides, our ultra fragile insides....  I am so used to shit bag, dosnt bother me a bit. It has weeded down my friendships to none but the best! which was nice .....

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.