Advice for potential colectomy complications?

Replies
Views
Gidget

Hi ostomates! I had ileostomy on 11/26. I had slow transit constipation, so the ostomy is just an experiment for a few months to see how my digestive system reacts to the non-use of my colon. If well, then the surgeon wants to remove the colon. If not, I will get a reversal. So far, I have had high output which confirms that my colon is a problem and would support the colectomy. However, I am concerned that I will have the opposite problem - going to the bathroom all the time and diarrhea. Anyone have any advice, experience, thoughts? I simply don't know what to do.

Puppyluv56

I cannot advise on this. My colostomy was from cancer, so it's very different. But I hope you find the fix you are looking for! I am sure someone has had this issue.

Puppy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,438 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gidget

Thanks, Puppy. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances but hope the colostomy is working.

Puppyluv56

Thanks, but I am doing well! Almost a year! We are all in this together no matter how we got here!

Puppy

vdahl

Hi Gidget!

I went through the very same thing! So you probably have a "loop" ileostomy now, right? I did 2.2.17! For me, dealing with the ostomy is much less painful than doing everything possible to go more than 10 days to 2 weeks... plus the doctor was quite concerned about a rupture. I started passing actual stool through the loop and would cramp up then finally eliminate. The surgeon said that wasn't a good sign so removed my colon and revised the stoma on 6.11.18. I am very happy.

I have a friend that had the colon removed but they immediately attached the small intestine. She went through about the same course of recuperation but as you mentioned, now has bouts of diarrhea several times per day.

Ultimately, you know your own body and your needs. One reason I decided I didn't care a lot about reconnecting was because of my age. I get along fine! Keep me posted, I'm always eager to learn a new perspective.

Be well, Vicki

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Sasquatch

How much output are you having? My normal is having to empty 6-7 times per day, and with an ileostomy the output does tend to be a little thinner. I would guess that in your circumstance, you'd be a candidate for a J-pouch? Keep us posted on your status, we can help you find your way through this.

New to Maryland (DMV)

I had a colectomy with an ileoanal pouch in 2007. They reminded me too much of my rectum, so it ended up leaking green slime out of my anus, and I have not been well enough, 5 surgeries later, to close my rectum. So I fight embarrassment of anal leakage and haven't found a solution, but find the colectomy much easier to manage life. However, this entire ordeal has ruined any chance for intimacy, and now I fight bigger health matters. Good luck.

Jmb1976

Hi Gidget,

Regarding your output, have you thought of irrigation through the stoma? That may make you have bowel movements eventually at a certain time of day and not have to worry about being out and being stuck in the bathroom. Also, there is a product called Sure Seal that Edgepark sells, which acts as barrier strips but is made of Tegaderm and allows you to shower and swim without worrying about leaks and the wafer peeling off. Has your doctor had you work with a dietitian? Because that could have an effect on your output.