Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,329 members

A Special Person

Posted by Angelicamarie, on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:12 pm

I was raised by my great Aunt Louise(aunty) is what we called her.

Louise was born on Decembe 15, 1914

In 1914 the yearly median income $687.00

The hourly wage 33 cents

A gallon of gasoline was 25 cents and a loaf of bread was 5 cents.

The average price for a new car $500,00

the median home price was 3,200

1914: motorized movie camera

My dearest great aunt passed a way in 2003. During the time since her birth and death, the following events occured or things were invented.

1917:Radio tuner

1923:Self Winding watch

1929:Car radio

!935:Radar

1939:Helicopter

1043:peniicillin

1946:Disosable diaper

1950:Alkaline battery

1953:Color TV

1955:Microwave oven

1958:Jet airliner

1960:Kodak instamatic

1971:Video casette recorder

1978:Global Positioning System

1980:Sony Walkmann

1987: prozac

1999:Digital Video Recorder

2001:Apple Ipad

2001: 911, the attack on New York, USA occurred, I mentioned this in respect to all those who perished and the fact that my dearest aunt lived only miles and minutes from the attacked area. I am so thankful that she survived. As you see from the dates and things listed above, my great aunt lived to see some great things and horrible events happen. But most important, she lived to see me enter adulthood and marriage and see my babies. RIP Aunty, she was and still is my special person.

Sincerly,

Angelicamarie

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:51 pm

Amazing! I often think of my Grandmother being born In 1917 and the things that she saw. She was a very forward thinking young lady and actually flew a plane when it was unheard of for women to do such things! She was always my best friend and confidant. She did not judge when i told her of things I had done! I sure miss her! I guess our children can do the same! They find it hard to believe there were no computers or cell phones in our day! 

Thanks for getting me to think of a very special lady! 

Puppy 

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:13 pm

Puppyluv... Thanks for sharing your memories. Yes I too miss my aunty... she was a very strong willed lady. Taught me many things.

Angelicamarie

Reply by OrlandoNewbie, on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Years ago, so it precedes your Aunt, I heard an interview with a 100 year old gentleman from Wales; I was living in the UK at the time.  He was asked what the most important invention was during his long lifetime.  The interviewer expected to hear about a medical breakthrough, the computer, air travel, landing on the moon...but the man said "tarmacadam".  He said that living with unpaved roads was a daily struggle:  mud and dirt on your shoes, clothes, tracked into the house --- all making so much work.  And the literal "slog" to get anywhere, particularly in bad weather.

Something we take for granted, dare I say never even notice, had more impact than all the "wonders" of 20th and 21st century life!

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:02 pm

OrlandoNewbie... Thanks for sharing and responding to A Special person.

Besr Wishes,

Angelicamarie

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.