Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,175 members

Hello

Posted by Mtnman, on Wed May 01, 2019 4:45 pm

I'm new here, just saying hi. I had surgery just over three months ago. 🙂

Reply by Mrs.A, on Wed May 01, 2019 4:49 pm

Hello Mtnman,

Welcome to MAO!

Reply by Mtnman, on Wed May 01, 2019 5:05 pm

Thank you Mrs. A. There is a lot of good information on here. 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Wed May 01, 2019 9:19 pm

Hey mtnman,

Welcome to the site! Glad you found us! Hopefully you have found products that work for you but I know the first couple of months were really horrible! Once I found the right product for me, no more leaking and I lead a normal life! If you need help on that stuff, just jump in, we are glad to share what we have done or tried! The folks on here all live the life every day, and most of us have Ostomy Nurses that have never had an Ostomy trying to help us. 

Puppyluv

Reply by Mtnman, on Wed May 01, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi puppy love and thank you, I've been using some different Hollister bags. I have to cut the hole because my stoma is a bit wider than long. And usually cut one of the rings in half using it on the bottom because my stomach dips in a little.

Too much information perhaps, yup Im in the right place. ☺️ 

Reply by Morning glory , on Wed May 01, 2019 9:32 pm

Hello and welcome to MAO. You have come to the right place.

Reply by Mtnman, on Wed May 01, 2019 9:34 pm

Hello Morning Glory thanks I think so. 

Reply by Past Member, on Thu May 02, 2019 5:15 am

Hello Mtnman and welcome.  

If you have a colostomy, you can probably irrigate in the future.  I doubt the hospital people will tell you anything about it, unless you ask.    They didn't with me...but it can sure make things easier down the road a little.  Keep it in mind, if you have a colostomy.  (You can't irrigate with an ileostomy.)   There are lots of people on here who can help with any questions you might have regarding that and any other issues.  I know what it's like in the beginning, a million questions, but it does get easier.  You've definitely come to the right place...and again, Welcome.

Reply by Mtnman, on Thu May 02, 2019 3:13 pm

Thank you so much, everyone here seems kind and caring. It's been three months since my surgery thankfully my insides appear to be doing pretty good. I'm getting used to the stoma and all the changes. I certainly relate to your handle, it is very clever. 😀 Thanks again.

Reply by Mtnman, on Thu May 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi Weirdnewlife, I too had rectal cancer (stage 3a). I had a 15 centimeter mass right at the end of my intestine. 

I read your profile and I'm sorry to hear that it's come back. If you ever want to talk I'm here. We take whatever life throws our way. I will keep you in my prayers. ☺️

Reply by Past Member, on Fri May 03, 2019 10:16 am

Thank you Mtnman for your kind offer to talk.  The same goes for me.  I've been where you're at and have gone through a lot of what you will be going through...so please feel free to send me a message at any time.  I sent you a private message...but I'm not sure it went though.  If it did, I guess I'm repeating myself....so please overlook.  haha  

My tumor was the same, but it was diagnosed as 2b.  Didn't think the cancer would come back...but it did.  You're right about taking what life throws us.  We don't have much of a choice in that one.  I'll keep you in my thoughts as well..and if you want to talk, please feel free to send me a message at any time. Friends who know exactly what you're going through can be invaluable...and I've met some really good ones on this site.  I'm sure you will too.  You can count me as one of them, if you wish.  Take care of yourself.

Last edited by Past Member on Fri May 03, 2019 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri May 03, 2019 4:46 pm

Hey Mtnman, 

i cut to fit as well. I used a 1” precut for a while but your stoma likes to change things up on you once in a while and mine went to an Oval shape so cutting my own provides a better fit and prevents leaks! Like Weirdnewlife day, irrigation may be something for you to check out. I irrigate as well and it is a life changer. And nothing is TMI. We all talk about poop all the time! It is why we are here! Lol

Puppy

Reply by Mtnman, on Fri May 03, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi Weirdnewlife, my name is walt and I'm glad you repeated the message, it didn't go through because I don't have full membership at this time. Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you. 

Take care

Reply by Past Member, on Fri May 03, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi Walt,  I see why it didn't go thorugh.  I didn't know that you coudn't send a private message to someone who isn't a payng member.  Ya learn something every day, I guess. haha

Well, we'll just have to communicate like this, then.  Which is fine by me.  Any questions that I can answer, I'd be happy to...but one tends to speak more freely in private, rather than posting everything.  Oh well...We'll try.  You take care too.

Linda

Reply by dls, on Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm

This is a great site. Ask, and you will get: advice, jokes, even supplies.  May you be one of those who have a stoma for many years without incident...there are many like that in this forum. Pick their brains.

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.