Opinions on One vs. Two-Piece Barriers?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Looking to hear from folks who have actually tried both one and two-piece barrier/bags. Which do you prefer and why? Interested to hear the real-life pros and cons, not just what the brochures and catalogs say.

Thanks,

Bob

kstyle

I have both an ileostomy and a urostomy. I have tried both one and two-piece products. I (for some reason always started out with a two-piece and then gravitated to a one-piece. Personally, I appreciate the one-piece. Kinda makes things simpler for me when changing as well as the extra security that nothing will come apart.

Cheers!

K

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,316 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Bob. 

I have tried both one and two piece devices. Unfortunately, neither were suitable for me in terms of the wafers staying put. However, after making my own baseplates, the two-piece devices seemed to be the obvious choice  as I could leave the wafer in place and just change the outside as and when necessary.  In my case, I am mainly talking about irrigation sleeves, which I fold up to form a pouch when not irrigating. When I'm travelling I use bags but the same technique applies.

Best wishes

Bill

newyorktorque

Hey Bob

I have tried both and I'm a one-piecer. Although I do not have two ostomies, I would have to agree with everything Kstyle said.

xnine

I have not tried a one-piece as I have a colostomy and a drainable bag would not work. I am usually too thick for that. I do not think there is a one-piece that is closed. I would have to change everything every day or more. I only use a drainable bag when prepping for a colonoscopy.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Tickpol

I've done both.

I have a retracted stoma so it's not like the stoma is there to guide a one-piece into position.

For this reason, I prefer a two-piece because I can actually see the stoma as I put the wafer in place.

Secondly, I have to dilate my stoma to keep it reasonably open (probably have surgery in January to revise my stoma). It's a lot easier to do this when you can remove the pouch piece.

Dave

Past Member

I have a urostomy, the hospital started me with a two-piece system. When I had to buy my own, the healthcare center gave me samples to try, and I ended up liking the one-piece system. It's easier to put the two-piece on because you can see the stoma, but I still prefer the one-piece.

w30bob

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the quick responses! I use a 2-piece for the simple reason (that some of you stated) that I can see the stoma as I put the barrier on. For me, that's key, as my stoma is oval-shaped and flush with my skin on one end....so I build up the barrier ring to be thicker there. So I need to be spot-on when I stick the barrier on or I'm screwed. But I like the flushness of the one piece and the simplicity. I may have to start futzing with some one-piece-ers to see if I can figure out a way to maintain perfect alignment with my stoma as I put it on. Might be as simple as marking both the flange and my abdomen with a sharpie to make an indexing mark. Thanks again.

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

I put stoma powder on every time before I put the new bag on, and it helps me center. Lining the edge with color is something they should think about doing for us. The bags are expensive enough, what's one more printed line? LOL.

Donleo

I prefer 2-piece the best. Myo sensors are the best if insurance covers. It is made almost unsmellable with the use of flushable liners which cost about 30 dollars for 100 out of your pocket. It lasts about 3 months and Walmart flushable disposable liners. It is hard to flush in low flow toilets though. Nobody will know the secret. They advertise in commercials and offer free samples from Liberty.

Past Member

I've used a 2-piece system since I first got my ileostomy, but slowly shifted to a 1-piece system when I had fistulas next to my stoma when I was 10. As I grew older, my stomach isn't as flat anymore, and I just feel a 1-piece offers more comfort and freedom of movement. (And never have the fear of the bag coming loose) Though 2-piece systems have come a long way since I used them. Back then, they had stiff click rings and bags that needed a hard plastic clip to close. I had hoped I had forgotten all those times that clip sprung loose when emptying, sometimes ending up in the toilet or poop spraying all over... Life back then was hard!

I still use the same 1-piece as I shifted back to all those years ago, and it has had minor improvements, but I've never looked back to ever wanting that awful 2-piece system.

Puppyluv56

I was given "one piece" pouches in that hospital, but they were actually 4 pieces that you had to fit the adhesives together, and that left many possibilities of error. Sometimes I would have to change pouches several times a day. I started using Bravo strips for insurance but hated the amount of skin that was covered by adhesive. I finally changed to a two-piece system that I have worn the flange and pouch 18 days just to see how long I could wear it. I tried the Convatec two-piece and Coloplast two-piece and have goods and bads. I no longer use barrier strips or rings or glue. All I use is an adhesive remover wipe. I have received one-piece samples that were good and only had the one strip to remove to apply to skin, but I like not having to pull that off my skin every day. I have never had any rash or skin issues. I do change the flange and pouch more often just because the filter stops working pretty fast in all the pouches. Typically go 8-10 days. Sure wish they would come up with something better with that part of the pouch.
I do like the smoothness of a one-piece versus the bulk of the two-piece.
Everyone is different! Thankfully there are so many options to please us all!
Puppyluv

britathrt60

So...does the 1-piece system have Velcro or a clip to close? I have an ileostomy and have always used a Convatec 2-piece and would like to try a 1-piece.

Do Convatec make a 1-piece? Thanks in advance, withed.

Angela

Past Member

They do, although it's been a long time since I used Convatec so I can't share my experience with it, but according to the website, you can request free samples, so have a go. I use Coloplast Sense 1-piece system, and it has a comfortable Velcro close, which also has an extra Velcro on the top so you can fold up the bag in half for if you're wearing shorts or swimwear, etc.

newyorktorque

You can get one-piece bags with a clip or Velcro. Coloplast makes both.

Past Member

I prefer a one-piece drainable pouch.

lovely

Hey Bob, I have been looking at a lot of videos on YouTube and I saw this one about one or two piece bags. I remember you had posted about it. I know you got a lot of replies. This video really gives a lot of pros and cons about both. If you have seen this, just disregard this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KtmwJDhujU

w30bob

Hi Lovely,

Wow... thanks for thinking about me... it's much appreciated!! I have seen that one, but watched it again, as my brain memory is completely full and I no longer absorb any new info. So it was like watching it for the first time... again. I like the idea of a one piece, but what keeps me using a two piece is two-fold. First, I need to be very precise when I stick my barrier on over my ring and my irregular shaped stoma. A 1/16 of an inch off and I'm in trouble. And I find it hard to watch as I place and stick it on while looking through a partially opaque bag. And if I mess it up I have to either live with it until the next morning or start the whole process over again. But assuming I could figure that part out, the other thing I like about the 2 piece is if I poke a hole or rip my bag on something sharp I don't have to change the whole barrier, which isn't easy for me to do other than first thing in the morning. But I do like that a one piece hugs the body better and is less obvious under a T-shirt. So it looks like I'm a 2-piecer, at least for now. But thanks again for the thought!!

Regards,

Bob

Shar

Hello 

I am really new at all of this. My urostomy is only 7 months old. Still having bag issues. Yes, started out with two piece. Now using Hollister one piece. My stoma is below my skin. Yes, it shrinks down, leaving me with new problems. The one-piece ring is softer and it stays on the best (and it's not great). My stoma is beside my belly button and when I healed, my skin folded in many places ---- I fill those calverts with ring pieces and cut my flange around my belly button. Yes, this journey is filled with all sorts of issues. 
I'm also not very good at computers and iPads, etc. So finding how to text with people is another journey. 

w30bob

Hi Shar. I didn't know the one-piece ring is softer........good to know. I always am bewildered by the thought of the whole ostomy process and the complexity of the operation, etc. And despite all that, it seems the problem most folks have isn't medical........it's physical.......meaning getting a damn plastic bag to adhere to the skin. I wonder when they first started doing ostomies and what they used for barriers and bags. Can you imagine???

Sorry to hear about your problems, but I know nothing about a urostomy. Skin folds and sunken stomas are discussed on here fairly frequently, although I don't know if there is really a tried and true method to deal with either. You're right to call it a "journey", as it certainly is............for all of us.

Regards,

Bob