Concerns with Suppositories and Enemas for Rectal Discharge

Replies
Views
lovely

I had posted earlier about mucus coming from the rectum. I was reading some older posts about it and saw some people use suppositories and enemas. If you do that and you insert the suppositories too far in and use too much of the enemas, wouldn't that cause problems? Since the end of the stump is open, wouldn't that push stuff further in instead of out?

warrior

Hi, who told you the end of the stump was open? A "stump" to me is like a test tube.. well, at least my stump is.. I constantly explain it that way.. There's only one way in and one way out, and both are the same entrance. Since you're referring to a stump, like what I have, the end is closed, stitched up closed. There is nothing able to go through it.. So maybe I misunderstood you. I have no colon, just a stump and ilio. That's it. Please advise.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,427 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hermit

I had severe discharge! Give it time! It will stop!

lovely

Hello warrior, thanks for responding. I guess I just assumed it was open. If it is closed, I think I will try some of the suggestions I read about. Like I have said before, I live in a small town and not much was given to me. So I have learned a lot from this site. You have heard the old saying what "ASSUME" means, right? LOL

lovely

Hi honestable, I have had my ostomy since 2014. I did not have a problem until a few months ago. I had pain and felt like I needed to have a movement, but no mucus. Then I passed a big lump of something and now the discharge. I sure hope you are right and it stops. Thanks for your input.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hermit

After 5 years, I still have urges!

lovely

I don't have the urges like before. I passed what I think was a build-up of hardened mucus. Now I just have a lot of mucus all day.

Past Member

Hi,

I had my "stump" for 24 years and had drainage, more than others. I also had a "plug" form and it caused me to be hospitalized, then the GI people did a digital exam and it broke sending a squirt and unbelievable drainage. A number of years after that I was having abscess and infection problems that caused several hospitalizations. Finally, they came to the conclusion that there was still some active disease causing the problems so the surgeon did a proctectomy and removed the remaining rectum and anus. Trouble-free since then! Please be aware that your intestine is sewn shut, however, there can be underlying issues if the drainage becomes severe, use the enemas if there is no pain and watch the drainage so no further blockage takes place that causes a real problem.

lovely

Hi Bigboredave, thanks for the info. I pass the mucus several times a day. It is not a huge amount but aggravating. I get a lot of UTIs and I think that may be what is causing it. I have to get with my Dr to see if he thinks that may be some of the problem of the UTIs. Glad you are doing good now.