What blood tests do I order?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Athena4

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community. I had a colectomy with end ileostomy about a year ago. I've done some research and found I am prone to type 2 diabetes, gallstones from bile salts malabsorption, and kidney stones from dehydration. My question is, apart from a complete blood panel, what other tests should I ask for? Thank you for your support.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi Athena4,

Type 2 diabetes is diagnosed with an A1C (glycated hemoglobin) test. I'm not that familiar with diabetes, so there may be other ways as well. Gallstones are diagnosed with an ultrasound test, as are kidney stones. They also use CT scan for kidney stones, but ultrasound spares you the radiation.....so it is a better bet. I guess it depends on your insurance, but I don't think they'll cover the CT or ultrasounds without the patient having symptoms......but could be talking out my ass.....so inquire first.

Regards,

Bob

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR - I ONLY PLAY ONE ON MEETANOSTOMATE.COM.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lovely

Hi Athena4. I was diagnosed with diabetes less than a year ago. I am 78 and never had a problem before. My Dr just did a complete yearly check up which he did a blood work up also. If my blood drops too low I get real hot all over and feel real weak. I have a little machine to check my levels, if it is too low I have to eat some real sweet candy. If it is too high I have to drink a lot of water and urinate to bring it down. It is best to get your Dr to check it if you are having some symptoms you think is sugar related. If it gets too far out of line either high or low it can cause some serious problems. Good luck

lovely

Bob, you are our MEETANOSTOMATE.COM resident Dr. LOL. Really, you do give a lot of good advice. Keep up the good work.