Questions about Single-Use Bag Sizes and Usage

Replies
Views
freedancer

Hi everyone! After my visit with Orthopedics to get a shot in my left thumb, the doctor advised me I will need an LRTI to remove the deteriorated Trapezium bone. We talked about Maxine and how I would manage her with the use of only one hand. I currently use the roll-up tail bags with the Velcro closure. After thinking about it for a bit, we thought that I would be able to do the one-use disposable bags. I would only need them for a maximum of 90 days at the most, just until I have the use of my fingers enough to go back to my other bags. Here are my questions.

1. What size of single-use bags typically works best for you?

2. How many times a day do you typically change your bags?

3. Approximately how many do you go through in one week?

I will need to order a little more than usual in case of more output. I typically order an extra month when I do reorder just so I don't run out. Any suggestions or information you can provide me will be very helpful. Thank you.

Past Member

I use a 2-piece disposable system. Although there is the occasional situation where I would prefer a drainable pouch, I find it to be so much faster to just remove an old one and snap on a new one. I probably go through 2 a day. I use a 7" bag and wear it horizontally with a stealth belt. I've tried all sorts of combinations of 1-piece vs 2-piece and drainable vs disposable.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,372 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi Freedancer,

I'm thinking the answer to your questions will depend on the type of ostomy (ileo or colostomy), and in general how much output you have... which will be influenced by the amount of bowel each respondent has left and the type of ostomy. Without finding someone with the exact same type of ostomy as you have, I don't think people's answers will tell you what you want to know. A few months back, I slammed my finger in my car door (yeah, I know... duh) and it got me thinking about how I'd change my barrier/bag if I only had one hand to use. Long story short, I tried it with each hand only, and it wasn't much of a problem if my right hand was intact (I'm a righty), but having to use only my left would be a pretty dicey proposition. I did manage to get it all on with my left, but it wasn't pretty. Oh... I use a two-piece system. I don't think I could do it with a one-piece, due to how accurate I have to be sticking my barrier in place. If you want to have some more fun, try putting your pants on with the other leg first... amazing what we take for granted.

Regards,

Bob

lovely

A lot depends on how much output you have and will you have any use of your hand. I would imagine the 2-piece disposable system to be easier but that is only a guess. Hope some more can give you better advice. Best wishes

Past Member

2-piece system would be the easiest option. You might get away with only changing the base plate every 7-14 days. As for how many bags you will need, consider how many times a day you have to drain your bag. Then add a few more on top for days when you have a higher output. I'm right-handed and have had surgery on my right hand, including my thumb. I couldn't use it for almost 3 months and still have problems almost 4 years later. I was worried at the time about how I was going to manage draining and changing the bag. I was surprised at how well I managed. The only problem was that I couldn't wipe the end of the bag after draining as well as I would have liked. I just used my normal Velcro closure 1-piece bags. As it's planned surgery, I would try draining and changing with just one hand and see how you get on.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
iMacG5

Hi Freedancer. Panther’s advice regarding practicing makes lots of sense. My dominant hand has been out of commission several times for various reasons and it was very difficult getting used to. From brushing my teeth to cleaning myself was often a real mess. Even with two good hands I wonder how things might change when we age into our hundred twenties or thirties. I don’t think their dexterity will be as acute as today. Using different parts of our affected hand instead of just the thumb and forefinger might be a reasonable, temporary remedy. Using things around us like countertops, basins, walls or whatever might help. Experiment and you’ll find the best way to handle things for those three months.
Let us know how well you do.
Mike

djcwiley

I used Hollister closed beige pouches. I use 3 a day and drain about 6 times a day. I won't ever go back to drainable pouches. The tail always gets through my underwear and ends up between my legs. Sometimes the Velcro gets loose, causing a leakage. Good luck.

Debra

Bellily

I love the two-piece disposables and have a colostomy. I know they make some tiny closed-end pouches, but I think the regular size is fairly standard across brands. Picture it as being a little bit smaller than the basic roll-up drainable, but mostly the same in what it can hold.

I switch bags after the "morning storm," which can fill it up to the top some days... What happens throughout the rest of the day is small potatoes that can stay until the next morning. But this is with a colo (firmer output).

But ileos produce all day long and it's soupy output, so if you have one of those, you'd probably have to change more than once a day, especially if you are bed bound. With an ileo, a consideration is that laying down (like in a hospital bed) makes the output flow around the wafer/stoma area, and the longer you have liquids lingering there, the more likely you are to have some squirm under your wafer. If you have an ileo, consider something with absorbing power in your bag and changing it a few times a day.

If you have a colo, then the closed-end pouches will be just fine.

Edit: It just sank in that the real meat of your question is what can be used with one hand. Definitely the single use, snap-off-snap-on. Getting the cuff of a drainable ready with one hand... I don't think that's possible.

And if it's an ileo/liquid-only, consider stuffing a little bit of tissue in it to absorb the liquid and keep it from pooling where it shouldn't.