Opinions on Coloplast bags? Worth trying?

Replies
Views
Jules23

Hi. Post loop ileostomy (8 weeks) came home from hospital with Dansac brand, flat then raised, was changed after 2 weeks due to a rash they caused. Now have Hollister but was told to try Coloplast? Has anyone used these, are they worth trying.

Thanks

myyear54

It's something you're going to have to wait and see. If they cause irritation, I would try a different brand. I went through many brands before I found one that worked. Some I even used for a while before my skin decided it didn't like them. I use Coloplast Mio two-piece. It is quality made and I have been using it for over two years without irritation. However, it doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. Additionally, I found that O'Keeffe's Working Hands, which is greaseless, helps heal the area around the stoma. Just don't apply it to the stoma itself.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,484 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jules23

Thanks, I will give it another week and might try Coloplast. I have funny skin, not funny ha ha but funny peculiar, and any sort of adhesive seems to set it off.

Wish it was funny ha ha instead, I could do with a laugh.

w30bob

Hi Jules,

My skin is funny too. I guess I'm where MyYear54 started out. I've tried a lot of things, but not actually changing brands from Hollister. So far everything I've tried hasn't worked. Some things seem to be working, and then my skin says "nah". I've been to a number of dermatologists who can't figure it out, and I've contacted Hollister and dealt with their nursing staff as well. I'm starting to think I'm one of the rare ones who'll never have normal skin under my barrier... but MyYear54's comments do encourage me. The O'Keeffe's does a great job of moisturizing the skin without being greasy or preventing the barrier from sticking, it just hasn't done much to clear up my red weepy skin where my stoma contacts my abdominal skin. Seems nothing really fixes that for me.

I've got some time off this holiday season and I'll look through the catalogs and call the other companies to try some new things. I'll also post on here a few questions to have folks help me narrow down my options. My biggest fear is trying other brands and making the problem worse. It's manageable right now, just not optimal. Thanks for posting this question.

Regards,

Bob

Jules23

Hi Bob, sorry to hear you have the same problem, it's a real pain, eh.

I haven't heard of O'Keefe's but will google them, not sure if we have them here... I must have gone through 6 kinds of barriers since my op and still having problems.

He ho, one of those things I suppose. Any joy with yours, please let me know.

Jules

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I used Coloplast for about 20 years, but changed to another brand. Now I got bored with them in the end, lol. They are a good make of bag, it's just trial and error finding the right ones for you and your skin. Stoma nurse is the best person for advice on skin problems, especially as you have had very recent surgery. I've known people advised to use shampoo on skin around stoma, can't remember the name of it now, lol, but it's only available on prescription in the UK. Even asthma inhaler can be used to spray on skin, both only to be used on stoma nurse or doctor's advice.

iMacG5

Hey Bob, I just think a phone call to Convatec might help you determine the cause of your situation and help you plan your future purchases.  I thought they were loaded with experience and very willing to help.  1-800-422-8811.

Good luck,

Mike

Puppyluv56

Jules, I use both Coloplast and Convatec two-piece systems and have had no skin problems from either. I have not tried Hollister. I do not use any creams or gels or barrier rings or special stuff. I have found that my stoma nurse is swayed by the free products she receives from brand reps. The first pouches I used were what she highly recommended. They were horrible! Of course, she did not have an ostomy and only went by what her reps told her. If you trust your stoma nurse, it may be different for you to seek her advice. Supposed to be a one-piece but there were four parts to get ones up. Lots of room for failure. I quickly learned of many other choices and jumped to them fast!
Call and get free samples and hope they work better for you and your skin. Lots of things to try to clear up your skin. Hope you find what works for you there as well. Kind of difficult to decide to change the pouch or clear the skin first. Either way presents a dilemma. Lol

Good luck,

Puppy

w30bob

Thanks Mike.....I'll give them a ring tomorrow. Last time I talked to Hollister, I emailed them some pics first. They called me back immediately and said......"Please go see your doctor". YIKES!!

Regards,

Bob

newyorktorque

Hi Jules. I love Coloplast and feel I get the best flexibility with this brand. I wear a one-piece. Appliances are a very personal issue, however, and I would take advantage of contacting the various companies for samples. This way, you can judge for yourself what works best. Also, it may help to establish yourself with a wound care/ostomy nurse. I'm sure they can assist in this regard and should it become necessary, you may find them quite useful in the future.

EvaJean

Coloplast is far and away the best in my opinion! I use the SenSura Mio 2-piece. I have sensitive skin, so I always use Coloplast Sween Cream and a barrier wipe, and that keeps my skin happy and healthy. With the SenSura Mio, they actually took time to design something aesthetically pleasing, which makes a difference in something you have to use 24/7. If you're in the UK, I would also try the Salts Confidence BE.

Bill

Hello Jules. I'm so glad you have received lots of helpful replies as this saves me having to repeat their advice. However, I couldn't get on with any of the above, because the adhesive simply didn't work well on me. Eventually, and out of necessity, I made my own baseplates and stuck their devices onto those. The adhesive I use is a spray-on one called 'Brava' from Coloplast. I haven't tried it on the normal flanges over their adhesive, but I cannot see any reason why that wouldn't work. It might be worth a try!!

I found that it's all about experimenting with everything you can lay your hands on, until you come up with something that works for you.

Best wishes

Bill

Jules23

Thanks, Bill. x