Tattooing around stoma: Any complications?

Replies
Views
Kezza.j

Has anyone on here had a tattoo done around their stoma? If so, did you have any problems?

I'm having one done on 1st Feb and the only thing I'm a bit dubious about is the chances of my colostomy becoming active while the guy is doing the tatt.

Fingers crossed everything will be fine.

Kezza

Bill

Good luck with that tatt!

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

Good luck, I don't think I could handle that. I have always had a big fear of needles. Now I have to stick my finger every day to check my sugar. Luckily, it is a fine needle. I think I would rather use the pouch covers; there are so many designs. Have you picked out the design you want to have done?

Mark1070

Kezza,

Have you talked to your doctor about or perhaps already tried irrigation? Many with colostomies have success with it. Anyway, I might be more concerned about crusting of the tattoo surface during the healing process which would cause adhesion issues if the tattoo will go under the wafer.

warrior

A tattoo around the stoma? Hmm. That would look pretty cool... like a sunburst... or a set of eyes looking out... a volcano!! What did you have in mind? I admire your courage to get one there... that's got to be the most sensitive area, rated - PG of course, to have one. Ow, the pain. I am curious to hear from others what they put there. Kudos.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
PETey.13

Not for me! I've already had enough needles and blades in me!

lovely

Here is a link to a page Bob started about tattoos back in Oct thought you may want to look at it, https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10174

kmedup

I am not sure what the risk is when one puts a wound on top or close to a medical procedure. My ostomy had to be moved so I could irrigate. You are young - can you find another place to put it? Sometimes the first ostomy site is not there forever. I would consult with your doctor - just my first thoughts :) Good luck to you. Karen

warrior

Very, very good advice, Karen. I would be concerned about infection, but exactly where, how close, and the type of tattoo would also concern me. I hope the guy doing it knows his... wait for it... shit.

britathrt60

Ouch!! Are you sure you want to go there? I would be afraid to get a tattoo anywhere... but there... hell no... lol

Kezza.j

Yep, I've chosen the design, just got to hope I can sit through and that it turns out how I want it! Lol

Kezza.j

I'm waiting to have a follow-up appointment with the surgeon on 30 Jan to ask about irrigation. I used to use it before the stoma, so I want to start again.

The tattoo will be going outside of the water area so it can still be seen with the bag on.

Kezza.j

It will be a mix of roses, spider web, and black widow spiders (I love arachnids) and will go outside of wafer area. Fingers crossed it turns out okay! 

Kezza.j

Thank you!! 

Kezza.j

Thank you! I shall have a look at that! 

Kezza.j

My colostomy was placed with the knowledge that I wanted to return to irrigation after stoma. The stoma nurse says she doesn't believe I will have any issues, so fingers crossed.

I've spoken to several tattooists before choosing one, so hopefully all will go well.

Thank you for the advice though!! 

Kezza.j

Lol, yes I'm sure! I have several already, but I feel this will help me to regain some of my self-confidence. Tattoos are not to everyone's taste, I guess. Lol

NJ Bain

Kezza,

So let me get this straight... The tattoo will be on the peristomal skin under your wafer and going outwards past the wafer? Or on the outside of the wafer portion? It would probably be best to irrigate before the procedure. But I suppose you could always use a non-lubed condom to go around your stoma if you're getting it under the wafer. I'm sure healing and avoiding infection would be a challenge. Keep us informed and let us know how it turns out. And of course, we'll want pictures... lol

Bain

Kezza.j

It will be about an inch away, 1 1/2 - 2cm away from the outside edge of the wafer and going outwards. The bag will be on when I have the tattoo done. nbsp
Just hoping it's a quiet day in regard to output! nbsp

Lol yeah, I'll post a pic of it when it is done.

NJ Bain

Ah, ok...lol. I got a little concerned there for a bit. I'm sure it will turn out great. And I wouldn't worry about the output. Just let the artist know ahead of time that it might make some noise. Personally, I'm a 12-year-old boy when it comes to fart noises. At least it won't stink...lol

Bain

Kezza.j

This is true! At least there's a positive with having an ostomy!! Lol 

britathrt60

LOL NJ Bain, so you laugh when you hear a fart... I have an ileostomy, so it doesn't make loud farts... just gurgling noises, which I tell people is my stomach growling... oh my gosh, you made me lol with your post..

Ange

NJ Bain

LOL....Happy to oblige ladies....I'm here all week. My ileostomy will make both gurgly and fart noises depending on what I eat or drink....Like beer....great fart maker...lol

But yeah, fart noises make me laugh. And I miss them occasionally. But I don't miss having to run to the bathroom to avoid an accident.

Bain

Shitt Happens

That's exactly what I was thinking, if you do irrigation, you will have no problem to do your tattoo. I do irrigation since 2 years now and I do not have any problem most of the time. Good luck from Quebec, Canada :)

Kezza.j

I only had the surgery in November. I'm seeing the surgeon for my post-op check-up the day before and will be asking if I'm okay to start irrigation. However, this appointment is the day before having the tattoo. nbsp

miss-t

I have never had that done but knowing people who have had to relocate their stoma, for some reason, would that be wise? Perhaps a temporary tattoo. That way you can make a change. I don't know. Have you consulted with your doctor?

Do what makes you happy, miss-t

Tmooore2

Tmooore2

It won't let me upload on my right side but yes, I have my whole stomach tattooed now and ribs. It's not pleasant but anything is possible. Keep your head up :)

Kezza.j

Kezza.j

As promised, a pic of the tattoo, now that it's done. It hurt but wasn't as bad as I was expecting.