Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,934 members

Illestomy reversal

Posted by Lrasphong, on Sat May 30, 2020 7:48 am

Hello everyone hope all is well. Due to get my reversal June 9th, I was just wondering what to expect after having the reversal.  Heard some bad stories and don't know anyone personally that had to deal with this and feed back would be nice. Thanks in advance

Reply by Bagface, on Sat May 30, 2020 9:18 am

Lrasphong- I had an ileostomy reversal a little over a year ago. At first I made 10-12 trips to the bathroom per day and now it's down to around 5. A lot of it depends on what and how much you eat. For the first few months I had to be sure I could get to a bathroom quickly enough, and now I have much better control, and I'll always have to watch how much I eat. I was lucky that I didn't have complications because I had a great surgeon. Before the reversal, I was afraid, too, because of the horror stories, then decided to focus on the positives rather than the negatives. Just be sure to do exactly what your doctor tells you. This is something you can't rush through.  You were on here a while back and I wondered what happened to you, so I'm glad you're back. Keep us posted, okay? Good luck!

Reply by looking forward, on Sat May 30, 2020 1:40 pm

hi i had a reversal. they do not last forever. now i have a permanent illeostomy. not happy but i am alive. many surgeons now do not believe in reversals  good luck

Reply by lovely, on Sat May 30, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi  Lrasphong,happy you are able to get a reversal and have a lot of concerns. There are three people that are on this site that had it done. You can look them up under Find Members and talk to them. They are newbeee, inspired47, and currentsitguy. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Reply by Lrasphong, on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:09 pm
lovely wrote:

Hi  Lrasphong,happy you are able to get a reversal and have a lot of concerns. There are three people that are on this site that had it done. You can look them up under Find Members and talk to them. They are newbeee, inspired47, and currentsitguy. Good luck and let us know how it goes.


Thank you very much lovely and hope you enjoy the rest of your day 

Reply by Lrasphong, on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:13 pm
Bagface wrote:

Lrasphong- I had an ileostomy reversal a little over a year ago. At first I made 10-12 trips to the bathroom per day and now it's down to around 5. A lot of it depends on what and how much you eat. For the first few months I had to be sure I could get to a bathroom quickly enough, and now I have much better control, and I'll always have to watch how much I eat. I was lucky that I didn't have complications because I had a great surgeon. Before the reversal, I was afraid, too, because of the horror stories, then decided to focus on the positives rather than the negatives. Just be sure to do exactly what your doctor tells you. This is something you can't rush through.  You were on here a while back and I wondered what happened to you, so I'm glad you're back. Keep us posted, okay? Good luck!


Thanks for the reassurance and kind words.. mentally I was drained with having this bag and kind of went in to my own little world threw working 60 hour weeks 6days a week . Went back to Ny to get the reversal but the coronavirus hit and had it canceled.  Fast forward came back to sc to get it done in June the 9th .. you always answered my questions and I appreciated it more then you know. I hope your days has gone well. Send love and prayers.

Reply by Lrasphong, on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:15 pm
looking forward wrote:

hi i had a reversal. they do not last forever. now i have a permanent illeostomy. not happy but i am alive. many surgeons now do not believe in reversals  good luck


I dont understand what happened.? I'm sorry to hear that but thank God your still alive and God bless you

Reply by Raydog, on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi Ostemate.  I am a male of 70 years young.  On December 31, 1965, I was admitted to my local hospital by ambulance with what I thought was Bronchitis.  I was going out of it by this time (11:00 A.M. and was rushed to emerg.  That night, ( midnight ) I was sent to a bigger hospital ( 100 miles away ) To make a long story short I had double pneumonia, and a perforated large bowel in two places.  I had my surgery and for 7 months of recovery I had my date for a reversal ( Set.17 )  I was in hosp. for 10 days and sent home with things working well. Five days later I was back in for emerg. surgery.  That last trip to the hosp. knocked the shit out of me.  Since then I have had my permanent buddy with me.  Don't let my bad episode sway your decision one way or another.  I am doing ok, but it sure was a life changer.  For me, it has made traveling more than one hour totally out of the question.  For the 3 surgeries, I was never sewn together, my doctor whom was excellent, used what they called a vac machine.  Works just like a vacuum cleaner, but at a low level of suction.  Also, when I was in the last time, I went through 25 changes in 2 days.  I was bleeding from changing so often, that I was put on a double pic line for two weeks.  No fun!  Good luck good friend, and keep us posted .

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:00 pm

Congratulations on your reversal! I will be thinking of you with positive thoughts of a success surgery! Keep us posted and share your experience so others can benefit from it as well. 
pup

Reply by Lrasphong, on Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:53 pm
Raydog wrote:

Hi Ostemate.  I am a male of 70 years young.  On December 31, 1965, I was admitted to my local hospital by ambulance with what I thought was Bronchitis.  I was going out of it by this time (11:00 A.M. and was rushed to emerg.  That night, ( midnight ) I was sent to a bigger hospital ( 100 miles away ) To make a long story short I had double pneumonia, and a perforated large bowel in two places.  I had my surgery and for 7 months of recovery I had my date for a reversal ( Set.17 )  I was in hosp. for 10 days and sent home with things working well. Five days later I was back in for emerg. surgery.  That last trip to the hosp. knocked the shit out of me.  Since then I have had my permanent buddy with me.  Don't let my bad episode sway your decision one way or another.  I am doing ok, but it sure was a life changer.  For me, it has made traveling more than one hour totally out of the question.  For the 3 surgeries, I was never sewn together, my doctor whom was excellent, used what they called a vac machine.  Works just like a vacuum cleaner, but at a low level of suction.  Also, when I was in the last time, I went through 25 changes in 2 days.  I was bleeding from changing so often, that I was put on a double pic line for two weeks.  No fun!  Good luck good friend, and keep us posted .

Thank you for your kind words and sharing your experience I appreciate your comments more then you know and I will keep you updated. God bless you and everyone in the world

Reply by Lrasphong, on Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:55 pm
Puppyluv56 wrote:

Congratulations on your reversal! I will be thinking of you with positive thoughts of a success surgery! Keep us posted and share your experience so others can benefit from it as well. 
pup


Thank you very much and I appreciate the positive energy. I will keep you update and either way it goes i will continue to interact with this site

Reply by pgcto, on Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:53 pm

I hope your reversal went well.

I had a reversal to a new j-pouch in 1991, and it lasted for 28 years; most of those were good years.  This past January, I had a new ileostomy to allow for for additional treatments, but the internal pouch is still internal and intact.  On the initial reversal, there was training time understanding how much urgency was required on bathroom visits.  Visits were 5-15 per day, depending on diet and possible presence of pouchitis.  I SCUBA dive, water ski, sky dive, camp/hike, work on classic cars, and have worked up the the C-suite during that time.  I just think about tomorrow's activity today, and adjust diets and schedule accordingly.  I am currently working on my new normal, and hope to have the next reversal in early 2021.

 

 

 

 

 

Reply by Lrasphong, on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:30 pm
pgcto wrote:

I hope your reversal went well.

I had a reversal to a new j-pouch in 1991, and it lasted for 28 years; most of those were good years.  This past January, I had a new ileostomy to allow for for additional treatments, but the internal pouch is still internal and intact.  On the initial reversal, there was training time understanding how much urgency was required on bathroom visits.  Visits were 5-15 per day, depending on diet and possible presence of pouchitis.  I SCUBA dive, water ski, sky dive, camp/hike, work on classic cars, and have worked up the the C-suite during that time.  I just think about tomorrow's activity today, and adjust diets and schedule accordingly.  I am currently working on my new normal, and hope to have the next reversal in early 2021.

 I wish you luck brother and I can see your really active. The pain comes in and out and I am on a clear liquid diet.but they want me to fart and poop but I can't  i need food to do that. I'm not even going to lie to you im thinking about just telling them I have just so i can go home

 

 

 

 



* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Currently online: 7    
1 members & 6 visitors
kray (f)
 
 
Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate - the largest online community for people with an ostomy.
If you have questions or just want to meet and chat with others, join us and enjoy our great community.