Shrinking Stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Ranger2705

I had a colostomy due to rectal cancer two years ago. After things healed up, my stoma was 32mm. Now, two years later, the cancer has returned and I'm going through chemo again. I have only lost about 10 pounds, but I have noticed in the last month that my stoma is now 25mm. It still looks healthy and bright red, but I was wondering if others have had this happen.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Ranger,

First, I'm sorry the cancer has come back. Please keep us updated.

My stoma has stayed between 38 and 40 mm. I cut my hole to 40 and it works well. ..Mtnman

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Ranger. 

Mine changes diameter with the temperature (shrinking when it's cold - expanding when hot). Hence I always have a wafer to allow for that expansion, otherwise there was no telling when the stoma would expend to touch the wafer and cause it to bleed.

Best wishes

Bill

TerryLT

Hi Ranger, so sorry to hear of your recurrence. My stoma changes sizes throughout the day, larger just before output then smaller after. I would think that as long as the color is healthy and your output hasn't been affected you are probably just fine, but it doesn't hurt to check it out with an ostomy nurse. Good luck going forward.

Terry

Past Member

Hi Ranger,

Sorry to hear about the recurrence. I have had my stomach size change as a result of weight changes. If you don't already have the cut-to-fit kind of wafer or the moldable kind, it might be helpful for you so you can adjust as needed to changing stoma size each time you change out your system.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister