Excessive Stomach Noises with Colostomy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Cappabarstar

I have a colostomy and I'm not sure if this is related to it, but my stomach is constantly gurgling and making very loud swishing noises. It's constantly moving. It's not just after I eat, it's pretty much constant throughout the day and at night. It's almost too embarrassingly loud that I don't even want to be around people. I didn't have this problem before, but it seems to have gotten worse within the last year. Does anyone else have this problem or issue?

Past Member

I have an ileostomy and have the same issue a lot of the time. I can guarantee that the quieter it is where I am, the louder my stomach will be. I have even had doctors and nurses saying, "You're hungry, you haven't eaten." I'm used to it now.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,574 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Hi Cappa, I have a noisy gut too, but mine is probably at least in part because my stool is very loose, and so the movement through my intestines makes a lot of watery gurgling noises. Has your output changed since your surgery? Is it looser than before? A change in diet might make a difference, but I would talk to my ostomy nurse and see if they have any suggestions first. I've just learned to live with mine. Good luck!

Terry

Cappabarstar

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your reply! In September of last year, I started having serious problems with my gallbladder and had to have stents put in there and in my pancreas. I also started taking Movantik to keep me regular as I am on pain medication every day, which causes bowel obstructions. So ever since the problems with my gallbladder, my stomach has not been the same. Maybe it's from being on the Movantik? You said yours is because your stool is very loose. That makes a lot of sense for my situation. Movantik causes my stool to be loose. Thank you for the advice. I will talk with an ostomy nurse about this.

Cplumber

Another thing is as we age we can develop allergies, could be a lactose intolerant allergy or gluten that has started.

Sorry to hear your discomfort, my ileostomy started doing some of the same to the point I switched to a night shift to avoid people.

I will be praying for you.

Cplumber

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Puppyluv56

I too have a lot of stomach noise now! It does not bother me and is much better than any other noise coming from the stoma! Lol especially in public. My diet has not changed and I am not on any meds. I just drink a lot of water. That is what I attribute my noisy stomach to. Who knows though.
Puppyluv

MOST52

This is also a problem for me. I know too much inactivity is not good...keep moving! Also, from personal experience, stress is a big factor. Remove stress triggers if possible. Also, take chewable gas relief pills after eating. I sympathize with you.

Cappabarstar
Reply to MOST52

Great idea about the gas pills after eating!

Iliyana
Reply to Anonymous

I sympathize. Mine does it all the time too... I have no solutions, but worse if I drink liquid when I eat? Could try that and not drink and eat at the same time.