Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 22,1K + members

Loud stomach!

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:03 pm

I have a colostomy and I'm Not sure if this is related to it, but my stomach is constantly gurgling and making very loud swishing noises. It's constantly moving. It's not just after I eat it's pretty much constant throughout the day and at night. It's almost too embarrassingly loud that I don't even wanna be around people. I didn't have this problem before but it seems to have gotten worse within the last year. Does anyone else have this problem or issue?

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:53 pm

I have an ileostomy and have the same a lot of the time can guarantee the quiter it is where I am the louder my stomach will be, even had Dr's & nurses saying your hungry you haven't eaten.....I'm used to it now 

Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi Cappa,  I have a noisy gut too but mine is probably at least in part because my stool is very loose and so the movement through my intestines makes a lot of watery gurgley noises.  Has your output changed since your surgery?  Is it looser than before? A change in diet might make a difference but I would talk to my ostomy nurse and see if they have any suggestions first.  I've just learned to live with mine.  Good luck!

Terry

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:30 pm
delgrl525 wrote:

Hi Cappa,  I have a noisy gut too but mine is probably at least in part because my stool is very loose and so the movement through my intestines makes a lot of watery gurgley noises.  Has your output changed since your surgery?  Is it looser than before? A change in diet might make a difference but I would talk to my ostomy nurse and see if they have any suggestions first.  I've just learned to live with mine.  Good luck!

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your reply!  In September of last year I started having serious problems with my gallbladder and had to have stents put in there and in my pancreas. I also started taking Movantik to keep me regular as I am on pain medication everyday which causes bowel obstructions. So ever since the problems with my gallbladder, my stomach has not been the same. Maybe it's from being on the Movantik?  You said yours is because your stool is very loose. That makes a lot of sense for my situation. Movantik causes my stool to be loose. Thank you for the advice. I will talk with an ostomy nurse about this. 😁

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:30 pm

delgrl525 wrote:

Hello Terry

This all started after my gaul bladder removal and got my bowels perforated. Its been 3 months since my loop ileostomy reversal and I still have loose BM and some solid. I'm afraid to eat and go out sometimes I'm having BM 6 times a day. I stopped coffee and going to try decaf I need to figure out if this is normal 3 months post reversal. I have a telehealth call on October 20 with a gastro doctor to see what he says. The noisy gut can be embarrassing I can relate mine is sometimes very loud. I started taking loperamide to see if this helps. Thanks 

john 

Terry

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:51 pm

Another thing is as we age we can develop allergies, could be a lactose intolerant allergie or gluten that as started.

sorry to hear you discomfort, my illiostomy started doing some of the same to the point I switched to a night shift to avoid people.

i will be praying for you

Cplumber

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:55 pm

I too have a lot of stomach noise now! Does not bother me and is much better than any other noise coming from the stoma! Lol especially in public. My diet has not changed and not on any meds. Just drink a lot of water. That is what I have attributes my noisy stomach to. Who knows though. 
Puppyluv

Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:34 am
panther wrote:

I have an ileostomy and have the same a lot of the time can guarantee the quiter it is where I am the louder my stomach will be, even had Dr's & nurses saying your hungry you haven't eaten.....I'm used to it now 

This is also a problem for me.  I know too much inactivity not good...keep moving!  Also from personal experience stress is a big factor.  Remove stress triggers if possible.  Also take chewable gas relief pill after eating.   I sympathize with you.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.