Tips for gaining weight post-surgery?

Replies
Views
New57

Hello all,

I am about 7.5 weeks post osteomy surgery and don't know the date for reversal yet.

I have lost a lot of weight and am not sure if I have bottomed out yet.

I would like some tips for gaining weight.

It does not have to be rapid but I would like to reverse the trend.

Thank you.

Eric.

w30bob

Hi Eric,

I think we need a little more info... why did you have the ostomy? Meaning, what was your underlying condition? How much bowel, small or large, do you have left? Is anything else going on with you medically? With that, maybe we can better understand what's going on with you.

Thanks,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

Pie

HenryM

Brevity is the sole of wit... or something like that.  Nicely stated.

HenryM

New57:  With an open-ended question like this, you're going to get "advise" that's all over the place.  Frankly, with your surgery so recent, I'm not comfortable even putting in my two cents because, under the circumstamces, it's quite close to medical advice.  You should bring this issue to your physician.  None of us are doctors, although a few of us occasionally play one online.  Soon enough you'll progress to my problem, which is how to LOSE weight.  Stay well. 

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
New57

Thanks Henry 

You make a really good point.
Although, I did find the pie suggestion interesting. I will ask my GI doctor and surgeon when I see them soon.

Thank you

Eric

ron in mich

Hi New57, I'm kinda surprised you didn't get a visit from a dietician while in the hospital. I had resection surgery for my ileostomy a couple of years ago and had a visit from a dietician and a rehab nurse before the surgery was done. After the surgery, I ate pasta with meat sauce and snacked on peanut butter on crackers and yogurts. But like Bob said earlier, we don't know what the surgery was for, so take what I said with a grain of salt.

New57

I thought I posted earlier that it was a total proctocolectomy with a J-pouch reconstruction.
So no more colon.

No more colitis.

No more high cancer risk.

I do not have the same appetite I had before surgery, which I know is part of the problem.

Eric

bowsprit

I had the same problem, lost a lot of weight. I was prescribed Ensure made by Abbott Laboratories. It did help. The good part about losing weight - all my old suits and trousers which had come back in style started to fit again.

Axl

Hi there new

I have had exactly the same as yourself but it took me six ops before I could stop having to go back there.

These ops beat me up very badly for some reason and each op I lost 15 kgs. The only good part was gradually eating my head off afterwards to try and put weight back on.

I ate homemade burgers, peanut butter on toast, scrambled eggs on toast, baked beans on toast, pasta, potatoes, and stir-fry vegetables. It was a slow process though.

Enjoy your food

Axl

Stomadare11

Here's the can't-miss way to gain weight. Step 1, get an Instant Pot. Step 2, make whole chicken meals; https://www.allrecipes.com/article/instant-pot-whole-chicken/ and roasts; https://www.allrecipes.com/search/results/?search=instant+pot+roast in the aforementioned Instant Pot. Step 3, gain lots of good weight due to how the cooker breaks down the food into easily absorbable broth/collagen and protein. Hope this helps, and it should, as if I can gain weight with only 200 cm of small bowel, just about anyone should be able to. All the best!

Homie With A Stomie NS

Pie, mashed potatoes fully loaded, anything with cream, white bread, doughnuts, chocolate lol, cheese's, poutine etc....anything you know that puts on poundage....

Enjoy

Tracy