Concerns about Donuts and Ileostomy Bag

Replies
Views
Joshcombs4

Hi,

If a person eats donuts, can they get caught in the ileostomy bag?

HenryM

I have an ileostomy.  If I couldn't eat donuts, life wouldn't be worth living.  Just chew all food good, and drink liquids, preferably water. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,463 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

Hi, like Henry said, just chew your food well. I love doughnuts. Stay hydrated. I like coffee with my doughnut.

Superme

Hi Josh! Doughnuts break up naturally and will get absorbed unlike peanuts, mushrooms, and corn. It seems you have the best advice. Chew, chew, chew, and drink plenty of liquids. If you ever have doubts about the foods you want to devour, you can get all your answers here. Mike

Past Member

I have an ileostomy and often have a doughnut, and if I have one with a coffee, it will zip straight through!

Everything in moderation is fine, life is way too short not to enjoy a treat (or three!) every now and then.

Praise be to Krispy Kreme!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
countyclare

Like most foods, you can eat donuts if you chew them well before swallowing.

I eat donuts quite often and have never had a problem.

The key word when eating is chew, chew, chew.

Ritz

A good donut a day keeps my doctor away.... but having that water is so important. I have a tougher time chewing before I swallow (on to dentures for me), so to help, I always have my fluid between every bite.
Enjoy them, Ritz