Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

CBD or THC? Cannabis oil for new Stoma patient

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:29 am
This is a great community. Consider joining.

Hi all,

My sister, 37, has recently had a stoma pulled through and is new to the life with a colostomy bag. Unfortunately, like most of you, her journey is just beginning. She has been diagnosed with Divers it I cul it us disease and has also a mass in the bowel. Unfortunatetly due to risk of perforation, they have been unable to take a biopsy of the mass and are relying on MRI and change in growth in a few weeks time. As she has had several, they cannot give her another and are hoping the time in between will also help reduce the inflammation inside the bowel too  

She is understandably incredibly scared at all outcomes. Cancer, life with a colostomy, operations and pain post ops are all valid worries and concerns. 

I am hoping to get her on some sort of cannabis oil to help reduce the mass size and hopefully help with internal inflammation, but I've read that CBD can cause diaheaa and I'm worried it will cause more issues and adjustments with her colostomy bag. Also, I'm unsure as to whether to get THC or just CBD and so I am hoping one of you can offer some knowledge, experiences and advice?

Also, she is concerned how it will affect her intimately. There doesn't seem to be anything online that tailors towards people/ women with a colostomy bag.  All is very practical but not necessarily attractive when wanting to feel sexy. Do you have any links or advice? I'm sure time will help but I feel so helpless. 

I'm on the otherside of the world unable to get to her due to travel restrictions and want to do anything I can to help her. 

She is based in the U.K. 

Please if you can offer any links, advice or knowledge then please do. 

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:32 pm

Hey 26Thailand,

you're so thoughtful trying to help your sister! It is life changing and overwhelming all at once. I have rectal cancer that has spread to my lungs and brain and I use cannabis foe nausea and insomnia for now. A dr from a new dispensary that I go to spoke with me recently regarding killing cancer cells with cbd. From my understanding you need Atleast some thc to help activate the cbd. There are many different ratios of thc/ cbd depending on what symptom you're trying to alleviate. The cbd you buy online or at stores is junk for the most part. You need to go to a reputable medical dispensary that has a reputable, knowledgeable person to help with the correct formulation for your needs. You can certainly experiment on your own however I w tried that and it was a waste of time. This dr I have that owns the dispensary has had cancer herself and she self treats with cannabis. She was 17 at the time of diagnosis and is now about late 40's and has no issues at this time. Find a trusting place to get help for your sister. It'll save you lots of time and aggravation. 
As a woman with a colostomy- it is so hard to adjust after having your body " normal" and able to feel sexy. I think I every woman feels the same. Talking with others with the same situation is very therapeutic and helps us realize we are not alone. I would say go slow and as one of our very wise Ostomates on here says an ostomy is a great jerk detector! If others are turned off by it then they are not foe you anyway! You're not defined by what others think of you- you are defined by what YOU think of you. Your sister is still the same woman she was before with just a bit of a tweak in her plumbing. I wish the best for her. I'm sure others will chime in soon. There are some really compassionate people on this site that can help. 
best of luck

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:39 pm

Hiya 26Thailand,

You are awesome to help your sister that is the best example of brother and sister love 💘.  Familia is priceless. 

I agree with Earth Angel comments all so true.

My personal experience I have urostomy due to urakel cancer which caused my bladder to have cancer.  And now I have a bag forever. And it only been 17 months since my surgery.  But I know what is feels like being a women and feeling sexy again or attractive.  I am slowly getting my groove back slowly But all that takes time. Most importantly is to focus on her health and all what my come next and be positive.. I also think when she is ready she should join Ostamate best thing!!

It took a long while for doctor to find out what was wrong with me. Way to long but during that time I use to vape CBD I needed something to relax me inside from all the out of this 🌎pain. I was also able to work and function and no high. This helped in between all the heavy duty pain meds. Which are not good for our body but they are needed. Then I looked into edibles and the vape like a indica just all body help without head high.  They have loads of things now for people with illness like ours. It has been a blessing. Like honey with CBD I put in my tea. Bit there was times where I need body and mind  especially when it came to sleeping. 

My brother also helped me like u are helping your sister.  And my brother felt just like you he still having a hard time with me being sick and my new way of living.  I know it is hard for you but your doing the best thing is being there for your sister. It is priceless really. And stay strong. 

I know the UK 🇬🇧 had not made   Marijuana legal there and it 🤫 undercover hopefully soon that can change. Remember Marijuana is one of natures natural remedies just like leafs 🍃 that produce our codine.  All our ansisters used these the earth plants 🪴. 

I wish you and your sister the best and I send many blessings 🙏to you and yours. 

BAYS ;)

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Hi 🙋🏻‍♀️ I had a emergency ileostomy (2 years ago)so, different circumstances but I take a daily cbd & eat thc gummy's at night for insomnia. I have been married for 34 years and nothing intimately has changed.

There is some ostomy lingerie- try both ETSY and Ostomy Secrets.

Best of luck to your sister. 

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Hi, Thailand!

Your sister is so blessed that you care deeply for her during this time of change.

I have no experience with THC or CBD but would like to comment on your sister's intimacy concerns.

I agree with others replying to your post:  Your sister joining MeetAnOstomate.org is a wonderful idea.  There's nothing like knowing that many other people - just people! - are moving through their lives with a change to their anatomy/physiology, and doing so as best as they can.  Which is all any one could ever realistically expect.

Many of us are tougher critics of ourselves than anyone else could ever be.  Fears don't help that situation.  But, many of us have been there with our self-criticism, our fears, our doubts, our "what-ifs", our fragile egos, our pain.

I've been an ileostomate since August 2017, and it seems as though I'm less and less concerned about the changes to my body, and my ego seems to be (relatively) intact.

Then I start thinking about dating, finding My Gentleman.  And my ego and self-image take a bit of a hit.  The doubts crop up and I wonder if I'm really ready for a relationship, and the possibility of being rejected.

A Gentleman and I have begun a friendship.  We're taking our steps in our relationship slowly, and that's just fine by me.

I can't speak for him, but for me, it's less about my ostomy as we're both ostomates and understand each other on that level.  I have come to realize that these doubts I have are more about...the person that I am being accepted.  I'm finding myself asking the same questions about the future of this relationship that I did in relationships I had before my ostomy surgeries.

We haven't met in person, yet, mostly due to the pandemic (as we're states apart), but I believe a good deal of it has to do with not wanting to rush into a relationship.  Like I wrote in my Profile:  I want a romance with my best friend.  It takes a while to become "best friends"...let alone "best friends FOREVER".  : )

Yet, I have faith that My Gentleman and I will meet...if we haven't already.  : )  ...in spite of that ridiculous, persistent little voice in me head telling my that I may not be worthy of a love-filled, respectful and happy life with My Gentleman.  That's MY challenge to overcome at this time of my life.  One day at a time.

Your sister has some challenges ahead of her, certainly.  Perhaps her initial focus should be directed towards her physical well-being, and stress-reduction.  Fear and stress can be difficult to overcome, but education and support from others who understand may help your sister move forward, one day at a time.

I wish you both well, and hope we hear from you that your sister is not just living, but thriving, and that we also hear from your sister in due time on this site.  I've typed it a few times, here:  there's a world of wisdom from the members of this site, so many suppportive people who "get it", and are willing to help, who care and will share in any way they are able.

Lily17~

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:54 am

I started both while in the hospital. It really helped me get my intestines working. I continue to use both although the THC is what I prefer. It takes the edge off nicely! Good Luck!

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:59 am
Old Bud wrote:

I started both while in the hospital. It really helped me get my intestines working. I continue to use both although the THC is what I prefer. It takes the edge off nicely! Good Luck!

100% agree-I'm a firm thc believer! 

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:16 pm
Cagrl wrote:

100% agree-I'm a firm thc believer! 

Ditto 100% agree believer! Take care all :)

Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:56 am

you're so thoughtful trying to help your sister! It is life changing and overwhelming all at once. I have rectal cancer that has spread to my lungs and brain and I use cannabis foe nausea and insomnia for now. A dr from a new dispensary that I go to spoke with me recently regarding killing cancer cells with cbd. From my understanding you need Atleast some thc to help activate the cbd. There are many different ratios of thc/ cbd depending on what symptom you're trying to alleviate. The cbd you buy online or at stores is junk for the most part. You need to go to a reputable medical dispensary that has a reputable, knowledgeable person to help with the correct formulation for your needs. You can certainly experiment on your own however I w tried that and it was a waste of time. This dr I have that owns the dispensary has had cancer herself and she self treats with cannabis. She was 17 at the time of diagnosis and is now about late 40's and has no issues at this time. Find a trusting place to get help for your sister. It'll save you lots of time and aggravation.
As a woman with a colostomy- it is so hard to adjust after having your body " normal" and able to feel sexy. I think I every woman feels the same. Talking with others with the same situation is very therapeutic and helps us realize we are not alone. I would say go slow and as one of our very wise Ostomates on here says an ostomy is a great jerk detector! If others are turned off by it then they are not foe you anyway! You're not defined by what others think of you- you are defined by what YOU think of you. Your sister is still the same woman she was before with just a bit of a tweak in her plumbing. I wish the best for her. I'm sure others will chime in soon. There are some really compassionate people on this site that can help.
best of luck

My doctor also advised me to take cannabis in small doses. It helps me relax and sleep.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:57 am

Earth Angel wrote:

Hey 26Thailand,

best of luck

My doctor also advised me to take cannabis in small doses. It helps me relax and sleep.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.