Complications with Barbie Bum: Nappy rash and yellow seepage - Normal or concerning?

Replies
Views
samantha1995.pa

4 weeks after surgery and I now seem to be getting nappy rash from the pads that I'm having to wear. Nothing seems infected. Anyone else get nappy rash or any complications after having a Barbie bum installed? I feel like all I'm doing is worrying about it. Also, yellow seepage is coming from the wound still, but I've been told it's normal. I just can't seem to put my mind at ease. The stoma itself has hit me like a duck to water. It's really not bothered me at all, but this Barbie bum has me on edge all the time, looking out for infections, etc.

Ritz

Sam, I used a soft piece of surgical gauze instead of pads when I had the same issue... it just takes a long time. When you see your surgeon again or nurse, ask them if you can put something on it. Mine had said no, just be patient and keep it dry. Eventually this will seem like a bad memory and you'll be thankful it was done. Mine took months to heal completely.
Try not to stress, Ritz

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,471 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

samantha1995.pa
Reply to Ritz

Thank you Ritz. It's just a big worry with not really being able to see it, I'm thankfully in no pain but I do worry about infections an awful lot at the moment. I will give my stoma nurse a ring in the morning and hopefully get seen just in case. Sammie

Earth Angel

Hi Samantha,

You're so young and sooooo brave! You can do hard things! Give it some time to heal and all will be well. We are all here for you for any questions or to vent! Lots of us have been in the same situation. As Ritz said, time will heal and help. One day at a time. I'll be praying for you!

samantha1995.pa
Reply to Earth Angel

Thank you very much! It's just a worry as my family have been saying you'd think I'd be more bothered about my stoma than my bum haha, it's all I've been complaining about. The stoma itself hasn't fazed me at all. I've been through enough in the past 10 years with Crohn's and I think I'm ready to take my life back again haha. I've seen a massive change in the four weeks of having a stoma that I don't think I could go back even though I can't now lol. Thank you again for your kind words.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Earth Angel

You said it, kiddo! You're ready to take your life back, and you will! This unfortunate situation will actually turn out to be a blessing in many ways you can't imagine yet. Stay positive and keep smiling! You can do anything you want to do and suffer less pain! Best of luck.

samantha1995.pa
Reply to Earth Angel

Thank you.

Past Member

As an old nurse, an infection will stink. If you have yellowish or even blood-tinged, it is a normal healing process. I sure can tell others not to worry when I freak easily, but worry has never gotten me anywhere. I wonder where worry came from in the first place? God bless you with quick healing so you can go have some fun.

samantha1995.pa
Reply to Anonymous

Thank you Gimo, I'm usually not a worrier but not being able to see has made me worry, mind is at ease thanks to you lovely ladies!

Earth Angel

You've got this! Stay strong.

bigal1579

Unfortunately, it takes a very long time to heal. I won't tell you how long mine took so I don't depress you, but mine was very, very long. Hopefully yours won't be long. You do get used to it, and you can be confident it will eventually heal, so hang in there.

The reason it takes so long is that the skin has to granulate. If you think of a slice wound on your finger, if you can keep the sides together (like with a bandage or even a stitch), then the edges that touch rapidly grow together. If they are not touching and there is a valley in between, then lots of new skin needs to fill in (that is granulation), and that takes time. The nature of this area is that sitting, walking, etc. keep pulling things apart, so you end up with lots of granulation needed. It's also an area that gets warm, so there can be some dampness from sweating. I never had an issue from infection, so I doubt that is a concern, even if it is wet, yellowish or red.

The thing that really helps it is packing it. That means taking a strip of gauze (look for packing gauze) or rip strips from a pad, and pack it in as tightly as you can. This absorbs moisture, helps granulation by keeping new skin from re-opening, and generally makes it feel better. Pack it as tightly as you can and if it gets damp, change it often. Expect it to get yellow or occasionally red. That's not a problem.

Just give it time, don't fret, and good luck.

samantha1995.pa
Reply to bigal1579

Oh, thank you very much. My worry is because I can't see it, lol. I think if I could see it, I wouldn't be such a worry. It's definitely an awkward place to have stitches and heal, but I will get there, definitely. I'm not too bothered about the time it will take. Thank you again.

Mtn.Mama

It's been four months since I had my colon removed. I didn't have the Barbie bum surgery at the time and my surgeon says it's really up to me if I want to have it. I've read the pros and cons, but still struggling with this decision. I really don't want any more surgeries. I'm wondering how others made the decision.

samantha1995.pa
Reply to Mtn.Mama

I didn't really have a choice. It was either keep the broken parts and risk cancer and continue being really poorly, or have a permanent end ileostomy and Barbie bum. I'm only 4 weeks post-op, and if I'm honest, it was worth it for me. Everyone has different experiences, but mine has been great so far. Just uncomfortable and a bit tender, as expected from such a big surgery. I've also read it's less likely for future problems with the rectum being removed. I hope you make the right decision for yourself and maybe ask a few more people before deciding. I hope this helps just a little. Sammie

Mtn.Mama
Reply to samantha1995.pa

Thanks for your response, Sammie. Wishing you continued healing.

samantha1995.pa

Never a problem, I wish I could be more helpful information-wise and experience-wise. Some of the lovely ladies and gents on this forum could possibly give you some insight. Maybe write a post and see if you can gather more information to make your decision that way.

AlexT

I got my Barbiebutt (Kenbutt for me) in March after surgery removing everything from rectal cancer. Like you, having a bag is no issue for me as it is way better than what I was going through before surgery. It takes time for everything to heal and keeping the area clean and dry is really all you can do. Stay in contact with your doctor/nurse. Things will get better.

Caz67

Hi Sam

Please be very careful with packing. I am a lead practice nurse in a GP practice where we see wounds on a daily basis. The only time any wound should be packed is the first 2-4 weeks. After this time, any dressings should be layered not packed. By packing, you are preventing natural drainage of fluid which, if left in the wound, could turn into an infection. XX

tiff041

Hey Sam, I was just wondering... What exactly is "Barbie bum?"

AlexT
Reply to tiff041

Barbiebum or Barbiebutt.....where your butt is sewn shut. Once it heals, it looks like a Barbie doll butt. Guys call it Kenbutt or GI Joebutt.

tiff041

Thanks, Alex. Very interesting. I have always wondered what my butt looks like inside. Now, considering, now it's just basically for show. My 9-year-old niece likes to remind me that I don't have a normal butthole anymore. She actually told her whole school on "Talk About a Favorite Family Member Day"...

"My Aunt T has Crohn's Disease and has a bag that hangs out of her stomach. She explained it to me one day and asked me if I thought it was interesting. I told her no, it is gross. But she is my favorite aunt. She spends a lot of time with me even though she is sick all the time" - Olivia

samantha1995.pa

Yes, it's just another name for the removal of the rectum and everything that goes with it.

I too would like to know what it looks like now lol, I've had a few times my partner has asked if I've let rip and I've had to remind him I no longer have a let rip hole lol.

It's amazing what kids take in really isn't it lol bless her heart. My nieces don't really understand just yet but I don't think they knew I was unwell before surgery. I'm the wild aunt that gets us into trouble lol.

Panko
Reply to samantha1995.pa

I had my rectum removed and anus covered with plastic surgery the next day after a 15-hour operation the day before, then another 10 plastics! When I came out of induced coma after two weeks and fighting off sepsis, E. coli, and pneumonia, I ran out of antibiotics to battle it and had to have a trial drug that saved my life but left me with nerve damage. I woke up to twin man bags!! I asked the nurse to take a photo of my beloved bum to reveal a patchwork quilt-like road atlas map-like thing I could not recognize anymore? But sure as hell would I want any more surgery on it for love nor money! Also, I had a big sinkhole between my ball sack and where the anus was, perineum, which was 90mm x 90mm deep and wide. It took months of packing to heal! As for a Barbie bum or Ken bum or death by bum bum, no way Jose!