Managing Thick Output with Drainable Bag?

Replies
Views
Past Member

How do you guys deal with thick output with a drainable bag?

Daanders

I open the bag and gently push the output out

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

What you eat will affect your output. Starches and carbs will cause it. I put a little bit of baby oil in my bag; it makes it easier to drop down or to push down into the bottom. I also leave a little air in the bag.

TerryLT

Are you okay with the thick output, and just want to know how to easily get it out, or would you rather have looser output? If I did nothing, my output would be really thick, and it definitely is a challenge to clean out the bag effectively. I keep my output much looser by drinking lots of water, something that as an ileostomate, I should be doing anyway. Most any liquid, or just water, will keep your output looser.

Terry

AlexT

I don't know if this is right or wrong as I have never asked my ostomy nurse, but if I have thick output and just pressing it out doesn't get enough to my liking, I'll take a little warm water and pour it into my bag, close it, move the bag around to wash out the thicker stuff that didn't come out. Works quite well, but like I said, not sure if it's right or wrong.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Morning glory

I drink coffee and plenty of fluids to keep my output thin enough, however it doesn't hurt to put some water in it and gently move it around to loosen it up and empty it.

Past Member

Same as Alex above, I will rinse with a little water if needed. I also will drink more fluids so it doesn't stay thick. Also, if the consistency is bothersome, make note of what you ate that caused the thicker output and then next time you eat that meal/snack also make sure you drink more fluids to help thin it out a little.

AlexT

It's pretty amazing how easily you can tell when you need more fluids. I try to pump 80-100 oz of fluids into me every day, 60 oz of water and then whatever else I drink....juice, milk, pop, protein drink, etc.

nal143

I switched to closed bags only. No more emptying. If it needs to be emptied, I just remove it, throw it away, and put a new one on. Medicare actually allows you to have 120 closed bags every 3 months. More than enough.

lovely
Reply to nal143

Are you talking about just Medicare pays for 120 bags? They will only pay for 60 for me. My output comes in small amounts sometimes several times a day, so I have to rinse and reuse as do a lot of people.

AlexT

I know it's not Medicare but my insurance pays for either $20/month drainable or $60/month closed, plus the same amount of barrier rings and a box (50) of remover wipes, a box (50) of barrier wipes, and a box (50) of lubricant/deodorant. They wouldn't pay for remover spray and I'm not sure about anything else.

nal143

I misspoke about the number of closed bags Medicare will pay for. It's actually 180/3 months, not 120. So you can use 2 new bags every day if you needed to.

xmarriott
Reply to AlexT

Hi Alex, I read your response about thick output. I had colorectal cancer back in 2017 and my bag is also permanent. I have been using water to clean my bag out for years. It works great and adds life by at least a few days to each bag I wear. I was glad I'm not the only one in the world who does that. Thanks, Jim L. Michigan

AlexT
Reply to xmarriott

Good to know.

Azdancer

I always clean out my bag with warm water, open end, pour water in, close bag and slosh water well, open and drain. Great technique, keeps away odor and keeps bag clean. Been an RN for 40 years and always cleaned my patients' bags the same way. Easy and convenient.

AlexT
Reply to Azdancer

Dang, I thought I came up with a great idea. Thanks for being a nurse (and to all the nurses on here), I've had some great ones take care of me over the last 18 months. Including my 4 doctors, 99% of the people that have dealt with me and my health issues have been awesome women.

Justbreathe
Reply to AlexT

I pour water into my bag every time I empty it...not necessarily for thick output just like a clean bag....Contrary to popular belief.. Fortunately, this does not cause any leakage problems for me....

texazgal

I was taught to use water for cleaning before I even left the hospital. She gave me a large syringe like they use for tube feeding. When that wore out, I just used a large water bottle. I've been doing this since 2004.

flynfshr

Can be frustrating... use Hollister lube - helps a little. Sometimes you literally have to coax it down the bag from the outside, try to use a digging motion to get under it and move it down, rather than just pushing, that tends to push it under the bag to the skin, and that's trouble... you'll feel it sting! Emptying is much easier if you keep a condi bottle handy, fill with very warm water, open bag, squirt in water, then swish around, it turns it loose from the bag where it'll flush, I do it 2, sometimes 3 times to completely empty, then wash the tail of the bag and put the clamp back on. You'll get the hang of it...

flynfshr
Reply to Azdancer

It's sad that many of the so-called "experts" at hospitals don't show you how to use water! It is so much easier, cleaner, and quicker. Those that showed me how to do the bag thing showed me to squeeze the poop out, then turn the tail of the bag wrong side out, then wipe it clean! They ought to have half their salary taken away for such cruelty!!

xmarriott
Reply to texazgal

My hospital was lacking a bit. I had my six-month scan and was told no cancer. Four months later at a different hospital, I was not only diagnosed with a return of my colon cancer. With this new cancer, my bladder is unable to produce and expel it in the normal way, so I have to wear bags attached to my kidneys to collect my urine to go along with my stoma and its friendly bag.

Past Member

I'm just finishing my first 3 weeks with my colostomy and am doing well with a two-piece drainable Hollister. I need a convex flange and a belt because my old belly has contours, also use the Hollister sticky ring on the flange.

My surgeon has me on a reducing dose of Miralax every morning to keep my output thin. He says some people use a bit of Miralax for output control permanently and we will see where I end up. I drink about 6 pints of water plus tea all day. I no longer will need to find bathrooms for pooping urgency but for urine output.

As for the rinsing of the bag... I'm so confused at this point. I had two stoma nurses say YES and two stoma nurses say NEVER. So I called Hollister and they said NEVER. It can cause leakage and seal failure. So I dunno. I use the Hollister lubricating deodorizer in my pouch, it helps. I have no idea if I'm pancaking, as I'm still learning!

I hope you get your output adjusted to where it makes your emptying easier! Such a daily task should not be a challenge.

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

Pancaking is where all your output stays right on your stoma and doesn't slide down to the bottom of the bag. I have issues with that. When I have it occur and it won't slide down when I jiggle the bag, that's when I'll add a little warm water to loosen it up and clean it off my stoma. I use the Hollister lubricant/deodorant also.