Pain After Ileostomy Take Down: Scar Tissue or Blockage?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
shelly.trenchy

Has anyone else experienced pain in the area where the takedown was done? I don't know if scar tissue has built up again or if it's the beginning of a possible blockage again. I am three months post-op. Thanks in advance.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,108 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

I had my colostomy reversed about two years ago, and I do remember having some pain off and on from the site for quite a while afterwards, that is after it seemed like the healing was all done. Can't remember in detail, but it probably did last a few months.

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
gentlejohn

It should gradually improve. There could be soreness for 6 months. If you are not gradually getting better, contact your surgeon.

bobbiparker890

I just had my ileostomy reversal Dec 19th and I'm still in so much pain. I am afraid to ask for anything for pain from my doctor. I've taken all kinds of other over-the-counter medicine but no relief. The pain feels like something is ripping apart inside me. I'm healing from the inside out. I can't lay flat or it feels as if I cannot breathe because of the pain. This pain makes me miss the bag. I haven't had bowel movements like I've seen others, maybe once to twice a day with light gas. But I wish I could go more or pass gas more because my belly hurts so bad, in my back and front. Any advice, please? I'm losing my mind or even hope. I'm so sleepy due to the pain.

TerryLT
Reply to bobbiparker890

That intensity of pain doesn't seem normal to me. Your surgery was very recent, but still, I would think the pain would be manageable at this point. I think you should speak to your surgeon or at least your ostomy nurse. Better to be on the safe side. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Terry

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Mabsie Moll
Reply to bobbiparker890

Hi BobbiParker890

Contact your doctor! The kind of pain you describe got me an ileostomy in the first place!! I don't understand why you're afraid to contact him/her??? That makes no sense!

If you have no confidence in said doctor, go to see another doctor! Good luck! Feel better soon.