Seeking advice on odor control for colostomy bag

Replies
Views
Pocahontas

Hi everyone! I have a question hopefully someone can help me. I use a Hollister bag with a filter. This may be TMI but even after I empty my bag, I feel like I still smell like poop. I use deodorant in my bag and I've tried three different kinds. Is there a bag out there that covers the odor?

AlexT

Are you sure it's from the bag and not a slight leak under the bag (between your bag and skin)? I use a Hollister bag with a filter also, and I have basically come to the conclusion that the filters are pretty worthless for the most part. They work okay with a fresh bag, but that's about it. The only time I can smell anything is if a little output gets under my barrier ring, and I know that my filter isn't working because it's clogged with output and soaked with water from showering. I just brought this up with my ostomy nurse yesterday, and she remeasured my stoma. I found out that I need to cut my bag opening a little bigger as my stoma isn't perfectly round, and I had the barrier ring on an edge of my stoma, and it wasn't sticking very well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,476 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

I should add that I always use toilet paper to clean the bag opening, and then I use a flushable wet wipe to make sure I got everything before closing the bag. I'm pretty OCD about having the bag opening really clean.

Pocahontas
Reply to AlexT

Thank you, Alex, for writing back. It's not leaking, and I don't shower with my bag. I use a cap cover. My husband thinks it's just me. He can't smell anything. And I'm with you, filters don't work! LOL! I don't know, it's not all the time, just some days that I feel I can smell it. I will make sure that it's not leaking and that my wafer is really stuck. Have a great afternoon.

Longroad78

I found that sometimes, once the filter shows any signs of being wet, you're on borrowed time because it will allow smells to get through. To buy a little time, put a piece of tape on it to keep the failing filter from letting any smells get past until you can change the bag out. I use the two-piece system from Coloplast.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pocahontas
Reply to AlexT

I am so OCD with mine too. I do the same as you plus I have bag liners.

Pocahontas

I also have a bottle you can get at Amazon that I use to rinse my bag out really well after every empty. The bottle is such an awesome item.

Paige

I avoid using a pouch with a filter and I use M-49 drops. I have been using them for years and they work great.

patrickrichardson1946

I have a bag with a filter and I agree that it is not very good (platinum pouch). I usually put a seal over the filter before fitting it, mainly to prevent pancaking. When the pouch balloons, I undo the pouch at the bottom and let out the excess wind, usually in the garage or in the back garden if it is dark. I do not want to smell the bathroom out. I also use an odor preventer, Na-Scent, which is not 100% effective. The Hollister odor preventer is quite expensive in the UK, I think. You are on top of your pouch, so you will be aware of odor other people won't be aware of. Good luck. Patrick

9 (platinum)

Pocahontas
Reply to Longroad78

I use the 2-piece from Hollister. I have never thought about putting tape over the filter. Thank you, I will try it.

Pocahontas
Reply to patrickrichardson1946

Thank you for responding to me. Which Hollister odor product do you use?

patrickrichardson1946
Reply to Pocahontas

I have used M9 but as I said, it is I think fairly cheap in the USA but more expensive in the UK. Best wishes.

Panko
Reply to Pocahontas

Hi, I'm guessing you use a two-piece bag, which I tried a couple of years ago as my older brother was using them with his ileostomy bag. So, I thought I would try as it's quicker and easier to change, even better if drainable? I tried them for a week or so but did not like the fact that you did get an after smell of poop now and then. I found cleaning the base plate flange tedious and could never get the seal ring 100% spotlessly clean, even though it looked clean. Yes, I'm OCD when it comes to cleanliness, washing, etc., so I ended up going back to drainable bags and changed them every other day in tandem with my other urostomy stoma bag, so I showered every other day too. The best pouches I ever found that were bulletproof were by the oldest ostomy company in the UK called "SALTS". The pouch is called BE Confidence with a flange of 75mm. I rarely had a leak with these bags, even if you rolled on that side while sleeping! I had to change to a bigger bag as my stoma prolapsed outside my abdomen and took up half the volume of the pouch, so I use Dansac Nova Easifold 90mm flange and a bigger volume bag (350ml, I think) so I can fit my prolapsed stoma and output! I know they are owned by Hollister, so you should be able to source them in the US. The code is 815-15. Also, another great gripper of a pouch is another UK company called "OAKMED". They have excellent pouches that stick well with a great grab factor that gives you the confidence to go anywhere anytime, like the Martini girl! I use Hollister 59902 pouches for my urostomy and found they are great too with the Coloplast bra tape extenders.

ideamachine86

The best smell-proof backpack is definitely the one from Hush Hold. It's made of leather and it's got a red satin lining, and it's smell-proof... no one's beating that!! Their site is www.hushhold.com