Fried Foods and Colostomy: Any Digestive Issues?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hi :)

I'm wondering if anyone else with a colostomy has problems when eating fried foods such as deep-fried fish or deep-fried egg rolls?

Thanks

AlexT

Can't say about the fish but nothing else has really bothered me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,448 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Sun... I love fish and chips, and there are only a few places where I don't have a problem. In the old days, Irish food places used lard. It's the lard that gives French fries and fish batter that great flavor. Lard is now off the menu in Ireland. They use canola generally. I don't know what it is with the oil, but I always have to get a doggie bag if I order fish and chips. Eating the whole lot at once would have me feeling like I ate a cow!! (Homer). What is really the best is where salmon is used instead of cod or other white fish. The remedy for this feeling in my belly is a quarter teaspoon of baking soda in a bottle of water, works really well.

Eamon.

lovely

What kind of problems are you thinking of? I have found that different foods react differently with different people. Most people say to try just a little of anything and see how it affects you. Some people have problems with fried food because of other problems. Best wishes

Past Member

Great tip!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member
Reply to lovely

Hi Lovely,

I have found that fried foods make me 'run to the washroom' so to speak. I don't eat out that much. It's kind of a treat to go get fish and chips.

But I think I need to look for something different now.

Thanks

Past Member

Hi ladies, Sally you should try making salmon fish and chips at home. You should use peanut oil because it has the highest burning temperature. You can get the oil really hot before slowly sliding the battered fish into the oil and soak up as much oil as possible with paper towels when you take it out. Peanut oil (caveat emptor...as regards allergies...careful!!) is great for stir fry because you can sear at a high temperature.

With some oil, I get this extremely annoying persistent feeling, almost like a stomach ulcer before I am halfway through eating. Peanut oil does not have this effect on me. Same with spuds, but different spuds have a greater or lesser effect. I just eat enough to begin to feel full and then stop and finish later. One egg, just a soupspoon of milk, a good dose of sea salt, and finely chopped green onions...the perfect spuds recipe. If you use a hand-held wand, you get really creamy spuds. Kitty loved my special mashed spuds. As I say, a little baking soda (not baking powder) in a bottle of water should have you enjoying your battered fish again. Lovely

Past Member

Thanks! That does sound yummy! I will try it.