Backpacking with an Ostomy: Tips and Experiences

Replies
Views
Bex3000

I have an ileostomy and I hike with a small pack, but I'd like to graduate to a big pack with a waist belt so I can hike and pioneer camp. The only thing is, I'm worried the waist belt will be on my ostomy. Does anyone backpack and can share their experience?

AlexT

Backpack? No, but I do carry duck decoys that have a waist belt on the bag. No real issues, but I'm usually wearing multiple layers and chest waders. I do have a StomGuard belt, and it protects your whole stoma area quite well. You could easily cinch the waist strap from a backpack over it, and you'd probably never feel it. It's very comfortable to wear.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bex3000

Thank you!

BackToCa

I have done quite a few multi-day backpacking trips. Most recently, three days in Bryce and three days in Zion. I did not have any issues with my pack. I have had my ileostomy for a long time. I adjust my shoulder straps so the belt is comfortable, and it is fine. Have fun out there!

bryancohnracing

I hike some and travel by air a bit, always using a backpack as my carry-on. I've found over time that I have to wear a hernia support belt (Nu Hope) and a bag support wrap (Ostomy Secrets) and have had no problems. To be fair, I am not carrying 60-pound packs on three-day hikes, so my experience and free advice are worth what you paid for it! :)

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
StPetie
Reply to BackToCa

I'm not much of a hiker but I did do the Subway in Zion about 20 years ago. Hadn't really thought about it for a long while until your post here. Beautiful place. Thanks for the reminder.