Skin Breakdown Under the Wafer

Replies
Views
neilg32degree

I have had an ostomy for 6 years, no issues, until now. I used a new medical adhesive for my wafer and now I have serious skin breakdown. Stoma powder will aid in healing, however, the quickest I can get it is 7 days. My question: Can I use Gold Bond powder in lieu of stoma powder?

Past Member

Hi Neil, I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. My inclination would be to say no, as Gold Bond has mentholate in it, which may irritate the broken area. Not aware of other powders that would be safe, although there must be some. The stoma powder absorbs moisture. I tried to find a list of ingredients in it but failed; I did find that it is often used on NICU babies with bad diaper rashes. I did find that you can get it on Amazon for about $10. Perhaps that's be a way to get some more quickly? Or if you have an ostomy nurse, give her/him a shout out? I'm guessing other members with more experience than I will pop in with help for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

RaenotRay

Hi Neil!

I don't know about a replacement for stoma powder unfortunately. My ostomy nurse did turn me on to Domeboro powder which really helps me. It's sold on Amazon, and in a lot of drug stores. You dissolve a pouch in about a cup of water, and make compresses with gauze pads. I get mine really wet and sit without a bag for 30-45 minutes. The Domeboro powder dries out weepy skin very quickly.
-Rae

Ebony&Ivory
Reply to Anonymous

I agree with "it's in the bag now!" The two aren't the same. If you try antifungal powder, remember to use just a very light dusting and brush off the excess with a dry tissue. A little bit goes a long way. Don't forget to dab the entire area treated with skin barrier. Your wafer won't stick to the powder.

I hope you find a solution soon!

E I

Jaemac

I have an "innie" stoma, so I have lots of problems with skin breakdown and bleeding. I use AG Silver Powder by Medline. It's expensive and only a 5g bottle, but the silver in it heals broken skin. In about 24 hours, I go from serious aching and hurting to itching as it heals. I use the "crusting" method where you get the area REALLY clean, the last step is water then drying. Then put silver powder down like you would stoma powder, but make sure you also hit the actual sore areas well. Brush off excess but don't polish off. Then spray with skin prep, then put stoma powder over it all after the skin prep dries, then spray skin prep again. This "crusts" over the AG silver powder and allows healing. I also use two rings, one convex and one formable stick that's sticky. I form it around the outside of the convex ring, giving a gentle slope to the back of the bag's sticky backing. This gives more sticking area for my convex flat to the body stoma. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister