Urostomy Problem

Replies
Views
Patches
Hi,
I am new here. I had a urostomy 6 years ago. Recently, when changing my bag, I am
seeing dark skin around the stoma. The stoma is a healthy color. I also notice
a tad more blood when cleaning the stoma. This is very scary for me.
Anyone have this or heard of this problem?
Thanks and God bless.
Pat
Patches

Hi,
I didn't receive any feedback here. I called my doctor to make an appointment. I will see him on 4/26.
I'm scared.
Thanks.
Pat

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ostralian
Hi Pat

Like you, I'm new on here too. Though not a new ostomate - I got my ileostomy in 1962 (and I'm only 25 years old now!). That's how old I feel anyway - most times.

Hang in there and stay positive - hopefully there will be nothing to worry about. Fingers crossed for you.

Cheers, Tricia
vulcanBMk2
Hello, I sometimes get this, the dark skin is usually a urine attack on the skin, maybe you need to go down to a smaller hole size to prevent the urine getting on your skin. I have bleeds sometimes if I'm a bit rough with the wiping process or I was in a bit of a rush changing bag, gave my stoma a bit of a bump. The bleeding doesn't last long. It never worries me.

However, it may be wise to get your stoma nurse to check it out if it worries you!
Patches

You eased my mind. Thank you! I really think that's what it could be. My urine is very strong...my fault as I don't drink enough water.
I have an appointment 4/26 with my doctor but at least I won't worry so much.
Again, thank you!
My best to you.
Pat

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Patches

Glad to hear you are feeling well. Thanks for replying to my post. I do feel better and
won't worry so much.
Nice to meet someone else from Kingston.
Regards,
Pat
ostralian
Hi Pat

Well, I can see that my country information says I am from Kingston, but I'm actually in Western Australia! I don't know how that happened, but nice to meet you anyway. I'll have to see if I can correct the info.

Take care.

Trish
Patches

I went to my doctor today and the discoloration on the skin around my stoma is nothing to worry about.
Thanks all!

Past Member
Hi,

I also have a urostomy and I have always had dark skin around it, almost purple-like. I have never thought to worry about it, and I have had my ostomy for 11 years. As far as bleeding, the stoma always bleeds really easily, even at the slightest touch at times. Unless you are bleeding nonstop for a long period of time, I wouldn't be too concerned. Hope this helps!

Buckwheat
Cornet

Nice to know that purple skin close up to the stoma is normal after 11 years. I've only had mine for 4 years and was wondering whether the close up skin would ever get back to normal.  There are photos on bag suppliers' adverts and websites showing a red stoma sticking out of clear skin, but I'm sure they are not real.