Internal Itching around Stoma - Any Advice?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
SallyK

Hi everyone.

I have this weird itching around my stoma on the inside from time to time... has anyone encountered this before? It's not on the outside because I have checked by taking my appliance off, skin is great, no itching on the outside.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,103 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Is it happening right before you "poop"? Good visual, huh? Or is it all the time? Mine definitely feels "tingly" or "itchy" right before or during episodes of output. Could also just be cooties.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
SallyK

Cooties. I hope not. LOL

I will have to pay closer attention as to when the itching happens. It is not all the time. It is reassuring to know others have the "itchy" / "tingly" feeling. Thanks!

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

When you mentioned cooties, I thought of a show I was watching last night. I was watching Grey's Anatomy, and they removed a candiru fish that had swum up a man's penis, obstructing the urethra. So it is a scary thought that something might be inside you.

AlexT
Reply to SallyK

If you really want to gross yourself out, Google tapeworms in a human body. Sorry if you lose sleep afterwards.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
SallyK
Reply to AlexT

Hmmm, I think I will pass on that.

AlexT
Reply to SallyK

It's okay, you know you're gonna look it up. I'm sure others will too, it's not my fault nobody has willpower.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

I feel this has become a challenge now so I will never look it up.

AlexT

I double dog dare anyone to look it up.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

LOL, I am not surprised. You wouldn't be Alex if you didn't double dog dare someone.

HenryM
Reply to AlexT

You're a piece of work, Alex.  Plus, it appears you're the only one who got the reference in my worm post...  Three cheers.

SallyK
Reply to HenryM

He is smarter than the average bear. And twice as sassy. LOL

bowsprit

I think it is time to change everything when that happens. I read that somewhere. Cooties, probably not!

SallyK
Reply to bowsprit

I did take the appliance off to see if it would stop, but the itching is on the inside.

Mayoman
Reply to SallyK

OMG, first time I've had the chance to use that and mean it!!! In South America, I believe they suggest wearing a condom if you swim in some rivers...sounds like a good idea!!

I just got a shiver down my spine and you know who immediately turned turtle!! LOL

Mayoman

Your pork and white fish better be very well done to keep out those squirmy wiggly worms. My dad was a butcher at one point. All his meat, especially pork, had to be scorched to a crisp or would be sent back... he had inside info!!

Mayoman

I get that itching outside/inside when even a small amount of shitty fluid makes its way past the stoma, under the edge of the wafer, and touches my healthy skin. It doesn't have to show damaged skin, just itches like crazy. When I put a fresh bag on, it stops. Just a thought, Sally.

TerryLT

I think Alex has something here, and I'm glad it got mentioned. I too get a sort of itchy feeling sometimes, just before the poop starts to come out. It definitely doesn't happen all the time. There are times I don't even know when output is occurring, and other times I feel a kind of pressure build up, and then there are the itchy sensations sometimes. It's not unpleasant, just something I've observed. How about others? I've often wondered if this is normal for everyone.

Terry

AlexT
Reply to TerryLT

It's like you know my stomach and bowels.

SallyK
Reply to Mayoman

Sorry, Eamon. LOL

SallyK
Reply to Mayoman

Growing up on a farm, I know all about that.

TerryLT
Reply to AlexT

LOL! What, you didn't know we were friends?

SallyK
Reply to TerryLT

Of all the friend groups I have (quilting circle, book club, etc), this is the best! LOL. Talking and sharing about our stoma and bowels!

Mayoman
Reply to SallyK

And our very smelly shite!!

Mayoman
Reply to SallyK

LOL!! ... Some people think that pig's snout is a real delicacy!! ... Just a random useless fact

Mayoman

We're just BowelFriends

AlexT
Reply to Mayoman

Very random and very useless, unless you're into pig snout.

SallyK
Reply to Mayoman

Down south they eat all parts of the pig. I will never forget going to the Toot n Tell restaurant for breakfast with my husband shortly after moving down there and seeing 'brains and eggs' on the menu. I thought it was a joke!

AlexT
Reply to SallyK

A restaurant called Toot N Tell is just wrong.

Caz67

I was thinking the same thing. Alex kinda puts you right off your breakfast. XX