Seeking advice on peristomal hernia surgery success rate

Replies
Views
Past Member

I have my first time peristomal hernia surgery booked at the end of August, but I'm nervous about reoccurrence and complications. Can anyone who has had this procedure shed some light on it for me and reassure me whether I should or should not go through with it?
Thanks;

Vermonter

Hi Barby, I also have to have one and wondering the same questions that you asked.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,467 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

Sooooo. Seeing that a stoma itself is a hernia. Sorry to say, the chances of a recurrence of a parastomal hernia are high. I am a plumber and have seven kids. I have had an ileostomy for 28 years and a hernia most of the time. And I have had 6 surgeries. With that being said, there are things you can do to limit or help reduce or delay recurrence. Build core strength, allow time to heal. Doctor may clear you, but take extra time. Do all you can to protect your abdomen for the second you come out of surgery. Have a pillow ready to hold on your abdomen in case of cough or sneeze. Get support belts before you go to the hospital. Nu-Hope makes a very good belt.

Good luck, I will be praying for you.

Cplumber

Maried

I have had 2. The first one failed within one year. The second one, it has been almost 20 years. The repair was in 2004. But when I had a colonoscopy about 2 years ago, the doctor said I had a hernia. But my stomach is still flat. My first hernia was the size of a large grapefruit and my bags would not stick very well. So far, this one is not noticeable and my bags stick well. And there is no pain. Make sure you get a surgeon with experience in this type of hernia repair.

IGGIE

I will also be having my first parastomal hernia surgery on the 3rd August, and as much as we don't like the idea of it, it has to be done before it gets worse. On top of it, I also have cancer removed from my right kidney, and it will be done on the same day with both surgeons working together. I will be thinking of you guys,

Good luck. Iggie

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lovely

Sorry, all of you are having these problems. I have not had this problem. I hope everything goes well for you and that you have a speedy recovery. Keep us informed. Best wishes.

Past Member
Reply to Maried

Yes, I am having the leakage and reduced pouching wear time problem, which is highly frustrating - so obviously I am looking forward to eliminating that problem, but not liking the sound of the high reoccurrence rate. I know it has to be done and would love to get some sort of my figure back without the bulge.

tenecgal1
Reply to Cplumber

This person wrote about a parastomal hernia. I think the question was addressed as peristomal which is in a different location of the stoma.

tenecgal1
Reply to Cplumber

The question in matter was peristomal, not parastomal. There is a

difference

61smiles

Hi, I've had two hernia repair surgeries, both of which led to repositioning my stoma. I should mention that I have a permanent ileostomy. The hernias are just the tip of the iceberg. They usually have complications like fistulas, some of which lead back into the intestine or wounds that won't heal properly because the stitches were done badly. I had to have exploratory surgery at one point. I now have a hernia the size of a grapefruit, which occurred very shortly after the exploratory surgery and repositioning of my stoma from the right side to the left. Food and gas get stuck going through and is very painful. After an emergency visit to the ER last week, I was told there is nothing else that can be done because it will only make the situation worse. I am trying a baby food plus liquid diet. Even that, you have to be careful with. I admit the thought has occurred that it would be better to get this life over with sooner than later.

IGGIE
Reply to tenecgal1

The word "pedantic" comes to mind.