Eating frequency after colectomy: Is it normal?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
gingerlee54

Hi to all the ostomates who are trying to find their new 'normal'.

I had a total colectomy with an end ileostomy June 17th. Since surgery, my eating is almost every two hours. Is this normal with the colon gone? I had a good appetite before, but now I must say it's an eating disorder.

My colon was removed due to a very low transit and non-functioning rectum. Finally, I found a wonder woman surgeon who heard me.

Adjusting, still have a lot of anxiety if I'm away and my pouch fills up-- I take pills for poop odor and carry poop-potpouri-- but still spaz a bit to find the perfect secluded pot‍

Any tips I'd appreciate...

Blessings, Ging

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

I wish I had a tip for you. After my ileostomy 2 years ago, I lost a lot of weight - only in the last month, I have started to put on some pounds and I feel hungry all the time. If "back to normal" means having to watch calorie intake and maintain a healthy weight, then I guess I am now back to normal. I do have one tip -

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
w30bob

Hi Ging,

Welcome to the club! You're fine... no eating disorder! Your body is adjusting to the change, and appetite is one of those things that adjusts as well. Since your colon absorbed most of the water in your stool, make sure you stay hydrated. There's been lots of discussions on here about that topic. Your appetite will work itself out as what's left of your bowel adjusts to its 'new normal'... and this takes years.

;O)

Bob

gingerlee54
Reply to w30bob

Thank you so much for your reply. I will be patient.

Blessings, Ging

Homie With A Stomie NS

Welcome and I'm ileostomy for a few months. Eating every few hours is not only normal but necessary. We need to eat every 4 to 5 hours. I lost over 50 pounds after the operation and now slowly gaining ounces and or a pound every 2 weeks. Your weight will depend on your output and how fast you process.

I'm still at the point I eat, feel full 30 minutes later, and can eat or snack again.

You got this. You will balance it out. Just keep at it. You are normal.

Tracy

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT

Hi Ginger, welcome to the site. I agree with the advice given so far. Just want to say it's nice to have another ileostomate on board, who came by your surgery for the same reason I did! Very slow transit time and basically a non-functioning colon. There are a few of us here. I used to think I was the only one on earth with my problem. My ileostomy has improved my quality of life so much, and I'm thankful for it every day. I hope you find the same to be true for you. You are a newbie and there will be bumps in the road as you make the adjustments, but you'll get there. And there is a wealth of support and information here, and some very lovely people, so take advantage!

Cheers,

Terry

gingerlee54
Reply to TerryLT

Thank you so much Terry for your feedback - it shows you care a bunch. Nice to know we had similar issues.. so much worse the last 10 years..

I'm so thankful I found someone who truly listened.

Keep in touch,

Blessings, Ginger

Redondo

I have also had a total colectomy almost 50 years ago. I am also always hungry. I try not to eat in between meals because I am overweight. I don't understand this because within 1/2 hour of eating, it is eliminated. I still have my whole small intestine and they say that the small intestine is what absorbs the food and nutrients. But still don't understand why I am at least 20 pounds overweight.

Immarsh

Welcome to the "proverbial" club... Had an ileostomy first and 4 years later, got the doctors and my parents to agree to pulling out the diseased rectal stump... (had ulcerative colitis)... Adjusting to the ostomy takes time, mentally and physically... I was 15 at the time, and when the doctor said "take it slowly" I didn't listen.. The first thing I had was pizza... But I did have to take note of how different foods affected the working of my ostomy.. The more fiber, the more churning.... and we don't have the colon to store waste, or absorb water.. Because everyone is different..... you need to assess what works for you.. On an empty stomach.... some foods go through me in 2-4 hours... With more fiber.... it takes longer, and the output is "bulkier"... I dehydrate easily, so I drink a lot of water, especially in the summer.. The color of your urine is a clue as to how much you need to drink... Pale yellow/clear.... is best.. Too dark is a clue that you need more fluid.... water, not juice, coffee, soda.. etc.. Try different foods...... to see what works and what doesn't. I used to be able to eat corn on the cob.... and now, not so much.... same with raw veggies (cabbage, celery etc). It's an adventure...... but it's certainly better than living with disease... And I've always been able to find a bathroom when needed.. Fast food places are the best... / gas stations the worst (dirty) But I've also "dumped" in the woods at the side of a country road... Best of luck to you... Marsha..

Silveradokid
Reply to Immarsh

As a side note, Immarsh, and if you're ever visiting New York City, the cleanest public facilities I've ever encountered are onboard the USS Intrepid...

paynejk

I have a colostomy (resected rectum, sigmoid, and some ascending). Post-surgical chemo led to a necrotic bowel incident where they resected 40 cm of my small intestine (and I almost died), so my bowel acts a bit like an ileostomy. After my last surgery, I found it difficult to get enough absorption, which led to poor food choices at times (over-carbing). A friend gave me a bag of Ka'Chava (it's a powdered vegetarian meal replacement) which I started using a little at first. Over time, I increased my use to the point I have it for breakfast at least five days a week. Another important item is to chew your food much more thoroughly to aid in digestion and absorption. Focus on high-density nutritional foods (organ meats are great), and your impulse eating should subside over time. Hang in there and good luck.

kritter

I have had my ileostomy for almost 40 years. My intake passes within 4 hours and I am hungry most of the time. Currently, I am overweight. I have to do extreme cardio to stay thin and can't keep up that pace all the time. I cut out sugar, juice, soda, but nothing seems to help. Can't eat too much protein or raw vegetables. I have developed arthritis related to the ulcerative colitis, which causes chronic fatigue. I wish someone had an answer too.

Trigger
Reply to Justbreathe

Well, that's wonderful, good for you! It's been 2 years for me and I just can't gain any weight! Can you let me know what you can eat and drink that helps you gain weight? I'm always hungry and probably eat too much. Thank you, greatly appreciated!

Justbreathe
Reply to Trigger

Maybe not so wonderful... I'm not very tall so cannot afford to put on too many pounds. For the last year, I have been eating anything I want (except lettuce and corn). I think chocolate and the fact that I have started drinking my favorite adult beverage at happy hour (Captain Morgan and Diet Coke) are the main reasons for my weight gain -

I do have an almond milk, 1/2 banana, and organic protein powder smoothie every morning

gingerlee54
Reply to Homie With A Stomie NS

Thank you, Tracie... just today I realized how to read replies

gingerlee54
Reply to w30bob

Hi, just now reading the replies from my eating disorder question. Thank you so much for your reply. If I had missed you... I so appreciate others' comments. Still new to the site and sometimes hard to figure out. I guess I need to go back and click on the question, then it tells me what people have replied. Thanks again, blessings gingerlee

Beachboy

Howdy Gingerlee,

Like others have mentioned, it's important to keep hydrated. Drink lots of plain water and electrolyte beverages. I like Gatorade Fit (available from Amazon). Don't chug... only sip. Otherwise, you will pee most of it out and not absorb it.

4 months post-op, I passed out at work. Smacked my head on a machine. Luckily didn't break anything. Paramedics called. Spent nearly 2 days in the hospital. All because I was dehydrated. So drink... drink... drink.

I lost 64 pounds during my medical adventure. Didn't eat much for 2 months. Fortunately, I was about 45 pounds overweight before I got sick. If I didn't have that extra weight to lose... I would have perished. After surgery, I regained my appetite and started eating all the time like you. I'm now 8 months post-op and am forcing myself to eat less. I gained back 30 pounds and that's where I want to stay. I resist the urge to eat at night and have very little junk food or "fun stuff." My wife & I go out to dinner nearly every day. As soon as it's served, I cut it in half. Eat only half, get the rest to go. I have that for lunch the next day.

I've gotten to the point where I don't care when emptying my bag. If someone is in an adjacent bathroom stall.... Oh well... I just let 'er rip. The bag makes lots of noise, I use quite a bit of tissue. Other folks in there probably wonder what the hell is going on. I've learned, got an ostomy, check your modesty at the door.

Hope some of this helps