Ostomy Memories Hits the Street

Replies
Views
HenryM

THE OTHER DAY I POSTED about how I am an ex-runner now reduced, in my dotage, to walking.  I am neither bitter nor complaining although, when I’m out walking and some younger person jogs past me, I have to put down the urge to curse under my breath.  The great Joan Rivers once cracked that, if she ever saw a jogger smiling, she might then consider it, the implication being that she didn’t ever expect to see such a paradox as a happy jogger.  She was wrong there.  Some joggers may be out only to satisfy the need to exercise, but runners (a more dedicated breed) are typically happily going about their routine.  Rivers was right another time, though:  “Keep moving.  It’s hard for old age to hit a moving target.”  I’ll enthusiastically second that.  Even “just” walking, I’m gaining benefits that aren’t immediately apparent to me.  It’s not just physical benefits either.  I feel better about myself, and it’s a two-sided coin.  If I happen to miss a day, I feel a degree of guilt about it, like I failed to brush my teeth or something.  And when I’m out, if a young lady happens to jog past me, I get to stare at her butt as she moves on down the street.  I don’t feel any guilt about that.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Love this post... Age is definitely only a number...

Ya gotta keep moving, young, old, and older...

Walk on, young man, and keep your eyes in your head.

Tracy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,501 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

If you rest, you rust.

AlexT

Henry, you old dog. ‍

bowsprit

Two other Joan Rivers witticisms, Henry: "I don't ever exercise. If God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put diamonds on the floor."
"Before we make love, my husband takes a painkiller."

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Redondo

I was never told by even my doctor not to lift anything heavy or exercise. So, I went about doing everything including weightlifting exercise. I was only 20 when I had my colectomy so maybe that was why I was able to tolerate it. However, in the last 3 years, I have experienced lower abdominal pain on a constant basis. MRI and CT scans show everything OK. So, doctors think it's scar tissue and if they try to do anything about them, they might create more.

Grammy

I'm having some leg pain and weakness, and the PT thinks it might stem from scar tissue from my colectomy. She was able to relieve a lot of the pain, but now I'm a little stiff and weaker on that side. I try to walk when time and temperature allow; it's the best exercise! I also take yoga and work with a trainer. I'm 70 and feel like all these activities will extend my life. And if not, at least I'm living as best I can for the time I'm allowed to be on "this side of the dirt."