Running with an ileostomy: Support belts and bag options?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hi

Keen to one day return to running. Not sure if I need a support belt. Not sure what type of bag might be best. Any tips and information appreciated.

HenryM

Hi Emmie... When I was running, I just wore the normal inch wide belt that hooked onto my appliance.  I don't even know if "support belts" were available back then (the Eighties and Nineties).  I averaged about 25 miles a week.  Now, old man that I am, I walk every day and usually wear a support belt the day that I've changed, but rarely afterward.  Perhaps if you have somewhat of a tummy bulge, you'd want the support belt, but otherwise it's a matter of what you're most comfortable with as you run.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,458 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Axl

You should never run unless something is chasing you....

SallyK
Reply to Axl

I'm with you Axl! LOL

AlexT

You'd definitely want some sort of support belt to help with the constant pounding that running would create.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Hi Emmie - I've run regularly for the last 15 years and worn support underwear for the first few months, but since then, I have just used normal running gear. I think some additional support materials can make you more conscious of the stoma and bag and therefore less likely to concentrate on good running form. Rather than a support belt, I'd concentrate on getting trainers that really work for you. Thanks, Steve.

Andy ileostomy

I used to be a marathon runner, now I run 5k 3x weekly. It took me about 8 weeks to recover and start light jogging. I wear a tight support wrap around my waist. I can't run without it, and it holds everything in!

AlexT

Much respect to those that run long distances. Even when I was in phenomenal shape way back when, running was the most dreadful thing to me. I could run sprints, hills, stairs, 200 meters all day long. But when the coaches wanted long distance stuff, God, I hated those training days.

Past Member
Reply to Axl

My family history of heart disease is chasing me.

Past Member
Reply to Andy ileostomy

Is there any particular belt you wear? I looked at Stealth Belts but am finding choosing one and sizing to be confusing.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

Yes, for sure. I just put music on and jog a few kilometers. Nothing too strenuous.

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

Just email them, very helpful in getting the right size.

Azdancer

Look up @mrcolitiscrohns on Instagram... he has a fabulous support belt. Best one made.

giantbadger74

How far are you running? Unless it's super-long distances so your bag's filling throughout the run, I'd just get out and run in whatever you normally wear. I don't see why you'd need support (I don't bother).

sunburst

You could look into stealth belts - they have a horizontal and vertical version. Gives good support and holds bag in place.
I walk, do yoga and use a rowing machine with only a cover and put bag inside my boxer briefs. That type of set up might also work for your runs.
Good luck and kudos for running again.

Past Member
Reply to giantbadger74

Sorry, I only noticed more replies on this topic today. I don't run far, just about 5km (haven't yet since surgery 2.5 weeks ago and it will be a while). My main reason for looking into support belts is parastomal hernia prevention. Having said that, apparently the evidence that they prevent hernias is pretty weak, so I'm not sure I need anything.

freedom

Definitely wear support. My surgeon said an ostomy is, by definition, a hernia because you are breaching the abdominal wall and creating a weakness. I didn't wear a belt for exercise after a colostomy and ended up with a huge parastomal hernia. Repair surgery failed, twice, and I then had to have a complete colostomy and an ileostomy...all within 10 days. I was very sick. I spent six weeks in the hospital with infections and other issues and am still recovering five months later. This is the risk you take if you don't take care of your stoma.

Past Member
Reply to freedom

Thanks. I'm so sorry you've been through so much. I will be careful for sure.