Post-surgery exercise causing pain - need advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses strategies for managing post-surgery exercise-related pain and seeks advice from others who have experienced similar challenges.
JayOstomy777

Hey guys, I had my proctectomy or Barbie butt surgery two months ago. I was pretty much symptom-free until I decided to do exercise. I was cleared to do so. After I exercised (running), I was met with intense stomach pain in my lower abdomen.

Basically all my post-surgery symptoms have come back. Mainly intense pain near the rectal area. What should I do?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Rest/relax. If it doesn't improve, call the doctor. If you went from doing not much to doing quite a bit more, your healing body isn't used to it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
JayOstomy777
Reply to AlexT

Thanks, I appreciate the comment, Alex

AlexT
Reply to JayOstomy777

Anytime. For what your body has been through, basically being cut in half and then sewn back together, 2 months isn't very long to be considered "healed". My surgeon and urologist said it takes months for all the nerves, muscles, and tissue to fully heal.

ron in mich

Hi Jay, I would also add to take some Tylenol and sit on a heating pad or sit in a tub of water. That's what helped me after mine was done, and I had to go back to work after 2 months off.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
WildEmber

It's a long recovery for sure. I'm a few weeks out too and whilst the fluid is drying up, I still get bright red blood sometimes and get sore if I drive too much. I am keen to run too but will wait until next year because I don't think I'll be healed enough until then. I'm fine with walking for now but it is pretty boring! I agree that taking it easy and letting your body heal is the way to go.

JayOstomy777
Reply to ron in mich

Thanks, Ron. I have a heating pad at home.

JayOstomy777
Reply to WildEmber

Thanks, Wild Ember. Wish you the best with your recovery. And good idea, waiting a year. Don't push it too early like me, you'll regret it :(

WildEmber
Reply to JayOstomy777

I hope you're much better soon too. By the way, I meant early next year, so less than 6 months until I'll give running a go :)