Seeking Advice on Cups for Stoma - Any Tips?

Replies
Views
Homie With A Stomie NS

Can any experienced users of cups provide me with thoughts on them? How do they stay on? How are they used? Do they come in different stoma sizes etc.? And any place to get a sample of one? Tell me all I need to know....Would be interested in trying just for a break from the bag. Thank you all for any input. Have a superfine day...stay strong, smile on.

Your Homie with a Stomie

Tracy

Ice

Never heard of this before but had me curious as I'm always up for a break from the bag. From what I could gather, they are only meant to be worn while changing your bag and secured with a belt. I could be wrong as there wasn't a lot of info. http://cspouchcovers.com/shop/products/stoma-cup/

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

Never heard of them.

xnine

I made one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlt-aH2g4HE

AlexT

Oh you Canucks are odd. I have no idea how it would give you a break from your bag but I can send one to ya from the good ol USA....Enjoy your Wednesday and the laugh you just had.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Jme

Thanks for posting. I have a relative that also has an ostomy and this might be a good product for her.

Axl

I could be wrong, but I believe they are for short periods like taking a shower without the appliance to stop any mess until you are ready to apply the new one. As you can see, the volume just isn't there for much else.

Axl

SallyK
Reply to xnine

Great idea!

William15

Hi Homie,

I often wonder what the impact is to the area of skin that is permanently covered by my appliance flange, particularly as it gets no natural air or light or vitamin D?

After showering daily and removing my used one-piece (flange and pouch), I avoid replacing it for as long as possible to enable the area under the flange to breathe in some air. I stay in the bathroom and usually get a window of time of around 15 minutes while my stoma is inactive and can carry on with grooming and clear up the bathroom, etc., after which time the skin has died too!

Personally, for me, it's important that the area of skin beneath my appliance gets some air, and it may be a coincidence; however, the area does remain healthy.

I did discuss my changing routine with my stoma nurse and without knowing anything about cups (until your posting) and attempted to describe a contraption design that I had in mind that would involve a small tray with elastic straps that could go around the waist and capture waste - she exclaimed enthusiastically that what I was describing was a pelican bib.

Will

AlexT
Reply to William15

I do the same, leave it off for as long as possible. I've had it off for over an hour while chatting with people on here.

patrickrichardson1946

During showering without a pouch, I use toilet squares folded in half to catch any poop. If I miss some, I pick it up with a toilet square and give the area a good blast with the shower. My toilet is near the shower and handy to throw in the poop with paper wrap. After showering and while drying, and until I put on a new pouch, I place a folded-up square of sterile wipe over the stoma, which adheres pretty well as the skin is still damp.

Showering with a pouch, I use a cut-down thin hospital disposable type apron to cover the pouch and keep it from getting soaked. I just wash the area under the pouch carefully to avoid soaking the pouch. I just hang up the apron in the shower to dry until I use it again.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Thank you all....great info...I also thought it was a short substitute for the bag....I do the same as many on shower day have a great shower and dry off and wait to reapply.... Thanxs again for all the comments much appreciated....Stay strong smile on and have a superfine day....

Homie with a Stomie

Tracy

Muna

This is what I do. After taking everything off, I take a rectangle of Press and Seal, and put it over my stoma which has already been covered by a small piece of soft paper towel. Then I start to get ready for the shower, line up everything I need for my new appliance, for when I get out. And I put another piece of Press and Seal on the corner of the bathroom counter, and another piece of paper towel so they will be readily accessible. I put a small plastic container inside the shower, in case the stoma becomes active. I save old food takeout containers for this purpose. And since I'm paying attention, if I notice something starting I can just catch it in the container and dump it in the toilet afterwards. I rarely have this happen though. Take off Press and Seal, then get in the shower and I let the shower hit the stoma and wash my skin off; I turn it to a more gentle setting if I am using the handheld shower head. But I'm happy to have all of the chemicals washed off the area. My skin is staying healthy.
When I get out of the shower I dry off, pat around the stoma and then stick another piece of Press and Seal and paper towel over the stoma, and I leave the top section open for air and ventilation of the area. That way when I'm cleaning up behind myself in the bathroom, or blow-drying my hair or whatever, put my robe on and can walk around and let the skin air out and dry off. Sometimes for an hour, and my skin is very happy about this.

William15

Hi Muna

Thanks for the feedback on your routine, please could you explain what press and seal is? I like the idea of putting a water container in the shower, I'll definitely follow up on that. I have always wanted to go appliance free in the shower but never have because of the risk of waste discharge, now I have a solution!

Will

AlexT
Reply to William15

I presume it's this....I tried it in the shower at first, worthless for me, as was Saran Wrap to try and keep my bag dry.

William15

Hi Alex, thanks for pointing this out - over here it's called cling film.

Will

IGGIE
Reply to Ice

I like the idea of this but I don't think they will post to Australia.

Regards

Iggie

Daria Luna
Reply to AlexT

I really want this, lol.