Choosing Stoma Location for Jeans: Options and Considerations

Replies
Views
Killshot_24523

I wear a lot of jeans. My belt line is pretty low, maybe a couple inches below my waist. Do you usually get to choose the stoma location or do you get what you get? Are there reasons why one location is better than others?

Cplumber

I am a plumber and wear my jeans low. I had my stoma placed higher. Actually, the top of my stoma is in line with the bottom of my belly button and I use a shorter bag so everything falls at my belt line.

Good luck; I will be praying for you.

Cplumber

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

I went in prior to surgery to my ostomy/wound nurse. She had me explain what I do at work, where I wear my pants, etc. She had me bend, stoop, squat, etc. She then put an X on the spot for my stoma. My stoma is pretty much right in line with my belly button, about 2 inches to the left.

Killshot_24523

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking a little below my belly button on the right side. Hopefully I'll get some guidance before surgery. I have an appointment on the 5th and surgery on the 8th. Can't say I'm not a little worried, but all the positive outcomes I read make me think I can continue living like I do now. Only without cancer, I hope.

AlexT
Reply to Killshot_24523

Good luck. As soon as they were done slicing and dicing me, I was cancer-free. You'll get a little nervous every time before having scans or blood work but that's normal.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bryce

Suggest taking an indelible magic marker with you when you see the ET Nurse. The Surgeon will thank you when he (she) sees the X. Good luck!

HenryM

You're fortunate if, before ostomy surgery, you get to have input directly to your surgeon as to where you want your stoma placed.  I've seen endless horror stories about willy-nilly placement by uninformed surgeons.  Since I wear my pants at my actual waistline, I'm happy with my stoma several inches below it.  The night before my surgery, the surgeon handed me a magic marker and told me to place an X where I wanted it.  Mine had been on the right for years, was having to be redone due to some issues and was moving to the left, so I had some experience sufficient to make a solid judgment re placement.  Best of luck to you.

Axl

I have had a few and the stoma nurse here always discusses stoma location on the day of surgery, and yes, an "X" at the intended location with a marker leaves no room for error.

Make certain you have input as to the location and make sure there is a bag on hand on the day to test the location. Try to make sure the flange of the bag clears any folds in the skin that may appear with bending, sitting, etc. Aim for a smooth surface for the bag to adhere to.

All this should be standard procedure, just make sure that it is.

Beth22
Reply to Killshot_24523

Hey there,

The best advice I can give is that you make sure it is not located based on your clothing, make sure it's based on the best location site for your stomach. I initially got my Ileostomy on Jan of this year and the stoma nurse did not choose the location site based on my abdomen but went based on where I wore my jeans, and it caused me a lot of issues and it retracted badly. Two weeks ago, I had to have it completely relocated. I don't want you to end up having a year of headaches and issues if they don't make sure it's in a good spot. They should check you laying down, bending over, sitting, and bending over while sitting, and you lifting up your leg. If you have any type of mound, it shouldn't be in that spot, or any creases. It should be where the flattest spot is on your abdomen while doing anything. Hopefully, that helps.

Delsol93

Interesting topic. I never had a choice. Went in for a wash out of the infection and ended up with a stoma about 2" to the left and 1" down from the belly button. Right where my pants and belt go. Good luck!

John.

Killshot_24523

Thanks everyone. My surgery is being done at UVA, a very good cancer hospital. My surgeon has a great deal of experience. I am in good hands. We'll see how things go next Monday, but now I am ready with your guidance, thanks.

ron in mich

Hi Killshot, I would also suggest that you tell the surgeon you want a stoma that sticks out at least an inch so that it drains into the pouch better. Good luck with the surgery and recovery.

Killshot_24523
Reply to ron in mich

I was thinking I wanted it as flush with my belly as possible. Won't the pee just naturally flow into the bag?

ron in mich
Reply to Killshot_24523

Hi Killshot, the pee will irritate your skin and make it raw and painful.

Killshot_24523
Reply to ron in mich

Gotcha... thanks.

dmccrillis
Reply to AlexT

Same but right side

sunburst

My stoma nurse marked left and right to account for any possible irregularities in the procedure - just above, even with and just below the navel line. Mine is a urostomy on the right side.
My preference was to have it below my navel and while the final decision is up to the surgeon, my surgeon listened to my preference and was able to put it where I wanted. My boxer waistband goes under the wafer and my boxer briefs waistband (mostly for golf, yoga and the gym) go over the wafer.
Good luck

Topfuel

Similar to "surveyor", mine is about 1 1/2" to the right and 1-1/2" below the belly button and it too is problematic with my pants. I have to wear them below the stoma. I experimented with different locations prior to surgery and thought this was where I wanted it, but the stoma is really a bit too low. I should have got it about opposite the belly button. I can live with it though, but it is an issue.

Killshot_24523

I'll have a nurse work with me on Monday, next week, to locate. Thanks for the advice.

jenny147
Reply to Killshot_24523

Good luck with your surgery. Hope all goes well. Sounds like you are in good hands.

zimachick14

I had my surgery ileostomy 2 weeks ago. A nurse will come in on the day of surgery, and in my case, they plotted four locations, two on each side, one higher, one lower, so that the surgeon had options. They'll keep your preferences in mind, but in the end, it's what the surgeon determines is the best place.

Doe1mama
Reply to AlexT

Wow, that was really great planning. Unfortunately, my husband's surgery was emergent. But as a nurse, I think what they did for you is wonderful and I hope all hospitals do that.

Superme

Hi all. My stoma is about 4 inches to the left center of my belly button and about 5-1/2 inches down center to center. I rarely have blowouts and never any blockages. My surgeries were done this way because I was very young and had emergency surgery. This enabled me to wear any clothes I desired. I have had several revisions but never changed the location. Mike