Seeking Solutions for Raw Skin Around Stoma

Replies
Views
TerryLT

Hi folks, I know this is a subject that has been discussed a gazillion times, but I haven't found a solution through Premium Content. I've never had a serious skin irritation problem until the last few weeks. I'll get the odd irritated or raw spot where I've failed to cut my flange exactly right, but I'll use the stoma powder/no sting skin wipes-crusting process, and it's always cleared right up, until now. This little patch of raw skin is not going anywhere. I've read through lots of suggestions, got some Cavillon spray, but it didn't make any difference, plus not sure on how it's being used, i.e., just the spray alone, or the spray with some kind of powder? I tried silver powder, with no luck. Spoke to Hollister and they suggested I just use the stoma powder, without the wipes or sprays, as the flange I use already has Ceramide in it. It seemed a touch better, but still a long way from healed. One suggestion was something called Baby Butt paste? Couldn't find it, and closest thing was stuff for diaper rash, which is essentially zinc oxide. Is this what the Baby Butt paste is? The pharmacist said that it doesn't have any healing qualities itself, just acts as an anti-bacterial barrier, so I'm not sure that would be much different from the stoma powder/wipe/spray stuff. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be extremely grateful! It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but not any better either.

Many thanks,

Terry

I meant to add to this, I do want to try using a barrier ring, but I'm unsure of whether it is OK/appropriate to apply a barrier ring directly onto the raw skin, or if I should be using the powder/spray/wipes along with it. Will the barrier ring stick to raw skin, or would that even be a good thing to do?

Past Member

I occasionally get patches of inflamed skin about an inch away from the stoma, and have used Convatec's Duoderm extra-thin dressings (like a second skin) over the areas with good results. I leave it on between changes (about 4-5) days and it does clear it up.

I've also used the Welland or Salts brands hydroframe extenders directly over the areas and these work just as well when I'm out of Duoderm. I think because the flange-extenders (unfortunate name!) are made of 100% hydrocolloid, they help with healing.

The patches still return, but as they are not itchy or sore (just unsightly), I don't worry about them too much. I just figured in my case the inflammation is caused by previously having had Crohn's.

PS edit! Forgot to mention that if I have a sore patch right next to the stoma, I have used Orabase protective paste which works really well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,379 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

After I shower with soap and water and rinse it all off well, I then put Head & Shoulders on around my stoma skin and let it sit on there for a few, maybe 30, seconds. It has the zinc stuff in it. You could also try spraying some Flonase, or the like, on the area, let it dry, and then apply your stuff. I've never had really irritated skin and have never tried it, but some say it works well. You can get barrier rings from Hollister that also contain ceramide to try.

Axl

Hi Del

Barrier ring goes straight over irritated skin. Try to make the barrier ring a little smaller than the hole in your appliance. Cavilon alone should work. Less is more. Practice on the back of your hand with the spray. It should be dry in seconds. There was a time when I used both, spray first then ring, but don't need both these days, just the ring.

Axl

Beth22

Calamine lotion is another one to try, a thin layer, let it dry, add another thin layer if you want, and let it dry. I have also heard of Maalox, unflavored of course. Apparently, Maalox is an old remedy they used to use before the current stuff, from what a nurse told me.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Justbreathe

Before I started using the Eakins Cohesive Slim Barrier Ring, I had frequent battles with raw skin around my stoma. I applied the Calazime Protectant Paste (photo included for your viewing pleasure). The raw skin would quickly heal.

In addition, I was reluctant to add barrier rings to my arsenal routine, but I believe they were the answer to this issue. Also, and importantly, I found that a tight fitting of the ring and pouch helped tremendously. At the hospital, they told me to leave 1/8" away from the stoma, and this was the problem area. Now I practically have to stuff that little fella (stoma) into the hole, and problems resolved. jb

IGGIE

You guys love using powders and sprays. Nothing will stick very well to powder sprays and creams. Please just try warm water and dry it well. Use a Welland washer nice and snug around the stoma and fit the base plate nice and snug as well. My stoma is 30mm diameter so I get Welland seals with a 30mm hole and my base plate is a Hollister two-piece and the base is pre-cut to 32mm. The base is a Hollister 13506 convex and the bag is a 18183 Hollister and the Welland washer is a XMHAWA310 pre-cut to 30mm. Try it and stop all the chemicals that I think are doing you a lot of harm.

Regards, Iggie

Beth22

I think powders and sprays should be used when your skin is irritated and having a problem. Your wafer won't stick if the skin is raw, weepy, and irritated, so when necessary, yes, use the tools to help heal the skin. Just as if you had a rash on the rest of your body, you would treat the rash. Unfortunately, not everyone can use a ring, and everyone's skin is different along with each situation. If it needs TLC, give your skin TLC.

Ben38

When I have a sore patch of skin, I use Sudocrem. I live in the UK, so maybe it's not available where you are, but it's basically just a nappy rash cream. I just rub a small amount on the skin and wipe it over with tissue. I've never had a problem with bags not sticking, and it helps soothe and clear my sore skin up in no time.

Yes, you can use barrier rings with sore skin. They will help heal your skin and prevent poo from getting in contact with your skin, solving the issue.

Cat6

Silver nitrate applicator sticks. Silver nitrate is a medication used for cauterization, which is a process of burning off the skin to stop bleeding or preventing a wound from becoming infected. It's also used to remove granulation tissue (pink, lumpy tissue over a healing wound) or warts on the skin. Mar 28, 2022
;https://www.goodrx.com › what-is

TerryLT

Thanks everyone for all your helpful suggestions! Lots of things to look up here, and try out. I'll post an update when I have some results to report!

Terry

Ady

I find the lotions and potions are difficult to apply and just get in a mess so I use a piece of Coloplast protective sheet cut to size and shape, a little like a plaster, to protect sore and broken skin, and it usually clears up in a couple of days.

TerryLT
Reply to Ady

Hi Ady, I'm actually trying something like that right now. My ostomy nurse suggested a few products from Salts, and they sent me some samples. On my last change, I applied a little piece (cut to size) of this thin sheet that is actually meant to be a flange extender, but she recommended I use it as a piece of barrier between my skin and the flange. It's infused with Aloe, and she said it's really good. We'll see on my next change, but things were looking better with just the piece of barrier ring I applied previously. The raw area is 'almost' healed, so we're getting there!

Terry

BobMac21
Reply to Anonymous

Some concern you might be developing sensitivity to the barrier or cleaning products you might use?

Past Member
Reply to BobMac21

I only use warm water to cleanse on change day, it could be sensitivity to the Hollister base, but I don't always get the patches, just occasionally. I have had minor eczema all my life but as these patches are not sore or itchy at all, don't think it's that. Can't see it when the bag is on so it doesn't bother me. Probably just a menopausal thing, oh the joys of being an old crone bag lady!