Seeking Advice for GI Virus Recovery

In this discussion
Replies
Views
CrappyColon

I'm going on day 4 of mostly NPO besides liquids to stay hydrated. Finally sent my GI Dr a message. I don't know why it's their go-to, but they always assume virus still, until another symptom pops up to warrant more testing or the ER. He also said more testing right now likely wouldn't render anything helpful. If it is a virus, is there anything I can do to get it out of my system faster? I've been in bed all day, the kids are home with a snow day, it's crazy here.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

I don't think there is much you can do with a virus. You do need to stay hydrated. I hope your Dr. will check you out thoroughly before just assuming that it is a virus.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

1) Send kids to Sally's to shovel

2) Not much can be done for a virus except to let it run its course. I was in the ER in December for excruciating stomach pains. I thought it was a blockage, but a scan confirmed no blockage. My doctor said they thought it was an intestinal virus because they had 3 other people with the exact same symptom within a week. It went away after about 2 days. They hadn't seen anything like it before. &zwj

CrappyColon
Reply to AlexT

If only Sally was closer and I could send the kids across the US/Canada border. They're being little bums. They know I don't keep track of screen time when I'm not feeling well because if I did, it would require more of my non-existent energy to keep them busy, ha.

CrappyColon
Reply to Morning glory

I did get him to run some blood work and I guess nothing too alarming. He said my inflammatory markers had gone down which doesn't make sense with how I feel. But I've heard a lot of GI patients say their markers come back okay sometimes when they feel horrible. If I go back to him in a couple more days worse than I think he'd do something.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
SallyK
Reply to AlexT

LOL, I would put them to work. Feel better soon.

CrappyColon
Reply to SallyK

My son would be a great helper, good luck to anyone dealing with my daughter. Lord knows it's gonna take a village for me to survive raising her.

SallyK
Reply to CrappyColon

It was the opposite for my kids...my son was the wild one...I used to sing him "Wild Thing" when he was little. LOL

bowsprit

I may be absolutely wrong, but I found that the common cold responds to antibiotics. We are told that antibiotics do nothing for colds and flu, they are viruses, but what if they are caused by something other than a virus or viruses get better if you take them? "Fools walk in where Angels fear to tread". What I am saying simply is that antibiotics do take care of colds and flu, whether they are caused only by viruses, I don't know. Wishing you a speedy recovery from your problems. All the best wishes.

AlexT
Reply to bowsprit

Anything that's truly viral, I almost never take meds for because all the meds usually do is mask the illness and not actually get rid of it. I'd rather whatever it is just runs its course and be done. &zwj