Baby Oil

Replies
Views
shitzengiggles

Baby oil!!!! Best cheap pouch lubricant ever. Makes it much easier cleaning the tail. Also, I roll the tail on the clip instead of just folding it over. No matter how clean you wipe, I think there is still a little left over in the tail, so rolling it on the clip helps with that!!!

lexus1

Thank you! A whole lot cheaper than that Hollister lube. Great idea. Lex

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,366 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bear

Baby oil made my wafer life shorter.

Past Member

Hi... I have never used the bags with the clips, but have spoken to a few who have and they mentioned the noticeable awareness of the clips... I use a Coloplast 2-piece system... with the Velcro tabs... thus no digging into my groin, quick release and closure etc... it seems (some) NB hospitals must have a contract with Hollister... and (some) NS with Coloplast... I encourage anyone to bring up their respective catalogs on the internet (some pharmacies will oblige as well), view their products, request samples and if something else would appear to be more to your suiting.... see your doctor for a new prescription... or just tell the pharmacy you want them to order in a particular product... with a smile and persistence you can likely get what you want... having said that I am dealing with an ileostomy not colostomy and the product you have may be just fine. I don't use a lubricant... my point is... don't be afraid to challenge your current prescription if you see something else that will make your life easier and better.

shitzengiggles

"Mmmmm, I don't have that problem. I tip up the tail, put a few drops in there, then I put the clip back on and just kinda rub the sides together. Haven't noticed much up around the wafer. I use Convetec. I have had real good luck so far, my wafers usually last for 7-8 days or more."

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member
Shitzengiggles, I think people need to understand how you are using the baby oil. I think if they don't understand, we can't have any oil or moisture around where our wafer is, then they might run into problems. It's only the plastic bag you are talking about with the oil. I just tell people to use Pam or a spray-on in the bag, and it works great. But never get it on the skin or near the wafer. You have a good idea about the baby oil, and if I wasn't so close to getting my reconnect, I might have tried it. I am just so excited that every day I am one day closer. I went back and read about reversals today, and my doctors have me prepared, so I think I am way ready. I am glad you handled this so well, and I hope if I would have been sick, that I would have had your courage. I think in time I would have, and like you, if it was to save my life, I wouldn't be ashamed, as we are all different. I have to go change bed sheets as my oldest will be here in a little bit. Thanks for your tips and your unique personality, nice to know we still have people out there with a great sense of humor. God bless, Jenny.
eddie

That sounds like a great tip, I will try it. I have an ileo and find the clips to work better for liquid stool than the Velcro. The Velcro can be obtained in any brand. It comes in Hollister, Convatec, and another brand I don't remember the name of.
Thanks,
Eddie

shitzengiggles

LOLolol The one and only time I tried the Velcro was when I had taken Pico-salyx to whoosh me out before my colon scope....... Thank goodness I was home, in old clothes, in my barn. Now I'm not dissing the product, it's just apparently not totally idiot proof.

perkyberky

Thank you for the information about the baby oil. Usually, I take a squirt bottle and wash the pouch out. I don't quite understand how you roll the pouch and clip it; could you explain more.

bearcat

I use a Convatec bag with a clip and personally like it a lot better than the Velcro. In my 2 short years, I've had 3 boo-boos and each was my own fault for not watching what I was doing. Now I look down when dropping my pants. I tried the Velcro but didn't like the bag it came on, so I went back to my original. Lubricants come in all shapes and colors, I guess. I use Hollister lub/deodor oil. I put a good squirt into my squirt bottle and fill it with warm water, then squirt it into the bag, swoosh it around to break down the poop and to lubricate at the same time, but am willing to try the Pam spray. I will let you know. As for closure, after cleaning the bag, I put the clip about an inch or so down on the neck of the bag, fold the bag over, and secure the clip. It's simple, easy to do, and if you keep on your toes, works to perfection.

sooziq

Love your name!

bmeup

I purchased an American-made, stainless steel, hand-held bidet sprayer and installed it on my toilet. It has made my life so much easier. I had a problem with the clips and prefer the Velcro. I am still using the M-9 drops, but when I run out, I will use the Na'scent drops. I got a free sample, and they're better in my opinion. But I use the non-soap facial cleanser like Eucerin for a little slip in the pouch. It works great.

Rosiesmom

I just saw your post today. I am going to look into the bidet hand spray. It sounds great for rinsing out pouches. I currently use a plastic jug that I fill or take it in the shower with and use the handheld we installed in there. Thanks for such a super tip. I do well with my colostomy. I am very blessed not to have some of the issues that I have read online. But always happy to get a tip to simplify life. Thanks again.

sammydm

I am new to this site. I had an ileostomy in July 2016. As of late, I am having to change my bag and wafer every other day due to leakage at the wafer. It used to last me for 4 days. What could be the reason? Is this a lubrication problem?

Rosiesmom

Hi, I haven't been on the site for a while, I am rosiesmom. I also use the Velcro closure pouches, and have for over 3 years. I apply a smear of Vaseline to my base and smooth it around the inside of the pouch, just a wee bit, it makes clean up a breeze. I usually change the base every 3 days (my preference). I have also been using the handheld bidet (Home Depot and Lowes carry them); it makes rinsing pouches sooooo easy. Hope you all have a blessed Christmas.

sammydm

Thanks, Rosiesmom. I will try Vaseline.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Howdy lady... I use warm water with baby oil to flush my bag out every day.... It works great and smells awesome as well... I am ileo not sure how it works for colostomies