GI Surgeon Magazines Offer Stats on Reversal Success Rate

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Faith4Today

I have hunted online for months on medical doctor websites and the statistics for reversals don't look that good. They state the big concerns are: if you have another condition that might add more risk to surgery (heart disease, diabetes, pulmonary problems), if you are obese, if you are over 55. If you can be considered for the reversal, success is not guaranteed. You may develop problematic scar tissue, there is the risk the surgeon may nick something nearby, you may have colon or anal leakage, or wake up with an ileostomy that may be more difficult to manage than your previous colostomy. Of the total patients in one study I read, 44% of the actual reversals successfully done after 6 1/2 years of follow-up were dead; they did not say why. Of the living, they all reported a better quality of life after reversal compared to the patients that refused to try the reversal, who reported a lesser quality of life with colostomy.

My surgeon is discouraging a reversal attempt and feels like if we can manage our colostomy, the chances of having anal leakage and needing diapers is very high, and they are more visibly noticeable and smell more than bags.

I know this post is not encouraging, but this is what I have found so far. Please ask your doctors to tell you the downside of surgery to make an informed decision.

Also, if you do have a reversal, studies show the doctors prefer the scope because they can do it quicker and you can leave the hospital sooner. However, they do often report more oops during surgery because they cannot see the surrounding area that is visible in an open surgery. For example, if you need more staples for leakage in an area, nicks are easier to miss. And in my case, in an open surgery, they can check surrounding areas for other problems, like the tumor on my ovary that would have gone undetected.

Hope this helps a little, and I am still searching for second doctor opinions for honest answers. I will keep you posted.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

weewee

I to read and my WOC nurse told me the other half about reversals that weren't reliable and that in a few months you could go back to a bag and or worse you could end up in dialysis for the rest of your life due to degradation and oh yeah that sounds like fun.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lexus1

No thanks! Even if I had a choice, I would stay with the ileostomy...a pouch is better than the risks of reversal, I think. I mean, what's the deal with where your "end" is? Not so much to me. I'll take healthy and pouched over all that. Lex

Past Member
Hi, I've had a loop ileostomy for 3 1/2 years. When the surgery was done, it was supposed to be temporary. I had a bowel that would not function "colonic inertia". Today, I saw a third surgeon that has refused to do a "take down" or a rectum anastomosis. They all say that the risk is not worth the reward and that my quality of life may get worse rather than better.

I have a very sore ileostomy daily along with a large hernia positioned directly below the stoma. I can do very little walking or daily exercise without the whole stoma swelling and bleeding. I need pain medication daily. I cannot work or manage much of anything if it means standing on my feet.

I would really appreciate some feedback from anyone who has had either surgery. I'm also type 2 diabetic, overweight, and considering a lap band surgery. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I really could use some advice on my situation and would appreciate everyone's input. Thanks in advance... Cathy
lottagelady
Hi Cathy - not had experience of this other than the fact that I am in exactly the same position .... spooky! But as I am not quite at the end of my long journey, I haven't as yet had this discussion with a hernia/colo-rectal surgeon ..... so will be very interested in any responses .... my initial fistula has led to type II diabetes, very large hernia, overweight, limited mobility, back problems and now neurological problems along with other problems of an auto-immune nature and possible fibromyalgia, opiate pain relief etc etc .. and I can manage very little too. Interesting .....

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister