Urostomy Takedown

Replies
Views
uroman

Looking for anyone who has had a urostomy takedown. Just want info on what to expect. The reason for my takedown to continent urostomy is simply to get rid of the bag. I have had no other issues for the past 27 years.

Thanks for any information,

Uroman

Patches

Do you mean a reversal?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
uroman

Yes, well going from incontinent to continent urostomy.

Miss Scarlet

Hi Uroman
I do not understand what you mean. I have a urostomy and I thought all urostomies were permanent. So if you have the bag taken away what do you get in its place?
Maureen

uroman

Maureen,

They'll take a piece of colon and make an artificial bladder out of the colon. The ureters attach to the new bladder. There will be a small stoma that will be catheterized every 4-7 hours to empty the bladder. Usually the stoma cannot be seen because it is in the belly button. So with all that said, there will be no need to wear an external piece to collect the urine.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Miss Scarlet

Wow, Uroman. That sounds amazing. When is your operation? Hope it goes well.
Maureen

uroman

It is scheduled for the 21st of September. I'm excited but nervous. I have been so used to what I have for well over half my life. Thanks for the wishes.

FYI - if you have any interest in making the switch, talk to a pediatric urologist. They have more experience compared to the adult urologist.

Catesmom

Wow, I also have a urostomy and never knew that was an option.
Good luck with your surgery.

uroman

Catesmom,

Boston Children's Hospital. Dr. Nguyen is a pediatric urologist who does this surgery. In case you're interested.

Uroman

girlygirl

Wishing you every success with your op. Wish it was an option for us all, but for a lot of us it's permanent, but I suppose we learn to live with it... eventually!

vanessavy

I never knew anyone that had this, but I know of people, so congrats! It is similar to my continent ileostomy but for the bladder. I debated having one since I have bad Interstitial Cystitis, but I am not sure I could manage draining 2 pouches even though I know of a model that has a Kpouch and a Bladder pouch, aka The Indiana Pouch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_pouch

Cornet

Fascinating topic, uroman. I had heard of this but assumed the bladder emptying was difficult. I guess by now you've had the op, so I would like to hear how it's all working.