Staying Hydrated

In this discussion
Replies
Views
carly

Hi, the trick for me to stay hydrated is to eat lots of chips and pretzels. Then I drink some Gatorade, and the water seems to hold. I have an ileostomy, and without all the extra sodium and potassium, I just can't keep any water in. Also, I'm so glad that fall is coming - the heat has been too tough for me. I can't enjoy the beach or anything outdoors without getting weak and dizzy. I love to walk outdoors, so I am so glad that cooler weather is on its way. Have a good Labor Day to all. Carly.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

PJT

I agree 100% Carly. This summer was terrible. I don't like sweating unless I have a good reason. I couldn't do anything outside since the middle of June. No barbecues, gardening, or biking. This summer ruined my summer! The good news is that Fall is around the corner. I can't wait.

PJT

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
wookie2005
Hi there,
I have only had my ileostomy since the end of June, so for me that's dead middle of winter. I'm not looking forward to summer at all this year!!!! As our winter has been one of the coldest, I think summer will definitely be warm:( I'm already sweating around the stoma and I have irritated skin. It itches like all hell, but I shower without the bag on every 2 days just to give it a wash and I use Calmoseptine ointment. My bags don't stick once I put that on though:( so it's a matter of me taping my bag to my body!!!!! Doing that also reduces the leaks that may happen....

I hope you can relax a bit more now that your fall is coming! As you're cooling down, we're getting warmer!

Speak soon,
Brooke
Past Member

Thanks for that advice, Carly. I will be taking that on board next time I fly back home as I have severe jet lag at the moment and am sure it is mainly due to dehydration.
I am looking forward to the fall in the states too!  

Cheers,
Jo x    
friendly

Hi there. I am not sure that I would use Caloseptine on the skin before applying the wafer. This would probably cause the wafer to not stick to the skin, causing leakage and skin irritation. The wafer usually heals any raw skin when applied properly. Good luck.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
bikerboy

I like pretzels too, they help me retain water as well. I drink a lot of ginger ale soda and it stays inside me even when it's over 100 in the sun. I don't get back cramps or feel dizzy when I'm working inside a ship or welding. But if I eat the honey mustard pretzels, they produce a lot of gas. Have a great day.
Bikerboy Greg

Mike

I try to drink a lot of iced tea. It was 110 here yesterday. Yikes!! Stay cool & hydrated!! Mike

ShineyShawnee

Pedialyte works great for me. They sell it in a box as individual powder packets you can just add to a 16.9 oz bottle of water and shake it up.
The Florida heat has been brutal this year so I've been taking in at least 1-2 a day in addition to water.

dnl74
Wookie, this is what I do for my husband when his starts to itch (and it does often). He will remove the whole device and shower and clean around it really well. Then he will lay down on the bed and let the air dry around the stoma. I will apply some Benadryl cream all around except up against the stoma. Of course, we have to keep a box of tissues close by for leakage, but he will lay like that for 15-20 minutes until the cream has absorbed into his skin. Then we put on a fresh, clean wafer and patch, still using the cleaner and stoma guard. That seems to help him, he says. The burning we can't get a grip on though. Maybe trying this once to see if it works for you. He says it's just nice to lay there without the contraption on him. He is not a candidate for reversal since he does not have but about 10 inches of colon left. Good luck.
ZaliBee
My nurse told me to use antifungal cream since we can get fungal infections under the wafer and it will cause the itch, especially after washing.
garfish

Did you ever try 3M barrier spray?

gutenberg
HI ya Garfish, I finally found a friend who supplied me with some home grown medicine, only problem is I've been too sick to try it out. Things are not looking too good right now and maybe more surgery so gotta be careful, Ed
Primeboy
Good luck, Ed. Please keep us posted.
PB
garfish

Glad to hear it. One toke over the line.

gutenberg
Speaking of one toke over the line: one day I took a little trip down to the river that runs into the harbor and I'm sitting in the passenger seat with my fishing rod and listening to Credence and the volume was pretty high just like me, when all of a sudden I hear this voice saying "now this is my idea of fishing so I flipped the butt and got out and started talking to this RCMP officer and we were leaning against the car and on the front seat was an open cigarette package and it was pretty obvious what it contained but he never mentioned it and we had a great chat. A few weeks later I was at the mall and here is the same Mountie setting up a table to sell tickets and the first thing he said to me was "hey Ed are you going to buy a couple of tickets from me" and you can bet your ass I was and being the first customer the tickets were numbered 0001 and 0002 and they didn't sound like winning numbers to me so I forgot all about it. Meanwhile I had quite a few plants in my garden that were getting pretty large. So one Sunday morning I'm watching TV and see this police car go by and then he circled the block again, now I'm getting worried, finally on the third trip the car pulls into my yard and is almost at the back door so I couldn't see who it was until he knocked on my back door, which gave him a perfect view of my garden, so when I opened the door I thought this is it for you Ed, but not so, this was the same police officer I had met fishing and who I bought the tickets from, and grinning ear to ear, he seen the plants but never mentioned them, instead he said, "remember those tickets you bought from me, well one of them was the winner of $1000.00" Well holy F^#@ was all I could think of so I invited him in but he said he had to leave and I wanted him to go out the front door and no way was he going to bite but he said he would be grateful if I had my picture taken with him passing me the check and not being a complete fool I agreed. The next day he showed up at the office and the camera gal was already to take the picture and I said to him, You wouldn't believe the bag of shit I'm going to buy with this and he cracked right up and we had to take three pictures before he was under control, all in all it was a really big hit. I have found in the past if you treat them well you can get away with a little larceny, a $1000 worth, Ed

Its a good thing I typed this a while ago 'cause today would have been impossible, Have a nice day all.
garfish

Great story. And you are right about treating people right and usually they treat you right. Anyway, as I learned a long time ago, cops always have the best weed.
Hope ya kick whatever has got you down so you can really kick back and relax.
Take care.
Gary