Low body temperature with ileostomy - Is it related to the absence of a colon?

Replies
Views
rosebud621
Dec 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Does anyone experience low body temperature, especially cold hands and feet, with having an ileostomy? I am wondering if not having a colon could cause this?

nessy
Dec 16, 2010 12:38 am

It's interesting you should ask that. My wife complains about my cold hands and feet all the time. I also wonder.

Cheers, Bob
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Dec 16, 2010 6:09 am

Google "Raynaud's." A lot of people with bowel problems have it. It can affect any part of the body but usually affects fingers, feet, or toes.

lottagelady
Dec 18, 2010 11:38 am

I am pretty sure I have Raynaud's Phenomenon - my hands are always cold and can be red, white, and purple striped at the same time - my feet are generally just white but the inside of my legs are deep purple, blanch when pressed, and are permanently freezing! I am a right mess .... keep showing it all to my GP who says 'you will feel better when you get your surgery', but actually I am quite worried that this circulatory problem is going to be a real problem before long ..... I think I had a blood test for Raynaud's and it came back negative, but then they always do!

Didn't realize it had a correlation with bowel problems - I will google the connection?

Rach xx

Past Member
Dec 19, 2010 3:25 pm

A nailfold capillary test is one of the best tests to diagnose Raynaud's. When you have more than one health problem, everything should be treated as a whole, but trying to get a doctor to do it is another thing. One condition/medication can affect another. You can try taking evening primrose oil or fish oils, a dose of 320 mg a day. There is a Raynaud's forum, there's some good information on it.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Tiggy
Dec 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Interesting question posed in this thread, and probably something worth looking into. I know that Tyler's temperature tends to always run lower than average, though this isn't something that has caused either of us a lot of concern.

budd002
Dec 22, 2010 12:53 am

Hmmmm....never thought about it having a connection to my ostomy before but now that you mention it, my hands and feet are always cold. I just thought it was due to my low weight and low iron. My latest issue is swelling in just one leg, the left. The right may swell a bit but compared to the left it's nothing. This is a new thing for me. Guess I'll add that to the list to talk to the doctor about....

lottagelady
Dec 22, 2010 9:57 am

Hi Budd - when you say swelling in one leg, can you describe that - is it a patch of swelling, and does it look and feel red and hot??

If so - please could you get yourself off to the doctors .... it may be a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and that will need sorting asap, so please get it checked.

Better to be safe than sorry ....

Rach xxxx

mooza
Dec 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Hmm, I have an ileostomy and my feet are always cold except if I am doing exercise. In other words, my feet are mostly really cold. I never thought about it. Thanks! I won't do anything about it. Can't be bothered with any bowel stuff anymore (getting naughty), but glad you asked and got answers. Mare mooza.