Low body temperature with ileostomy: Is it related to the absence of a colon?

Replies
Views
rosebud621

Does anyone experience low body temperature, especially cold hands and feet, with having an ileostomy? I am wondering if not having a colon could cause this?

nessy

It's interesting you should ask that. My wife complains about my cold hands and feet all the time. I also wonder.

Cheers, Bob
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,444 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Google "Raynaud's." A lot of people with bowel problems have it. It can affect any part of the body but usually affects fingers, feet, or toes.

lottagelady

I am pretty sure I have Raynaud's Phenomenon - my hands are always cold and can be red, white, and purple striped at the same time - my feet are generally just white but the inside of my legs are deep purple, blanch when pressed, and are permanently freezing! I am a right mess .... keep showing it all to my GP who says 'you will feel better when you get your surgery', but actually I am quite worried that this circulatory problem is going to be a real problem before long ..... I think I had a blood test for Raynaud's and it came back negative, but then they always do!

Didn't realize it had a correlation with bowel problems - I will google the connection?

Rach xx

Past Member

A nailfold capillary test is one of the best tests to diagnose Raynaud's. When you have more than one health problem, everything should be treated as a whole, but trying to get a doctor to do it is another thing. One condition/medication can affect another. You can try taking evening primrose oil or fish oils, a dose of 320 mg a day. There is a Raynaud's forum, there's some good information on it.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Tiggy

Interesting question posed in this thread, and probably something worth looking into. I know that Tyler's temperature tends to always run lower than average, though this isn't something that has caused either of us a lot of concern.

budd002

Hmmmm....never thought about it having a connection to my ostomy before but now that you mention it, my hands and feet are always cold. I just thought it was due to my low weight and low iron. My latest issue is swelling in just one leg, the left. The right may swell a bit but compared to the left it's nothing. This is a new thing for me. Guess I'll add that to the list to talk to the doctor about....

lottagelady

Hi Budd - when you say swelling in one leg, can you describe that - is it a patch of swelling, and does it look and feel red and hot??

If so - please could you get yourself off to the doctors .... it may be a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and that will need sorting asap, so please get it checked.

Better to be safe than sorry ....

Rach xxxx

mooza

Hmm, I have an ileostomy and my feet are always cold except if I am doing exercise. In other words, my feet are mostly really cold. I never thought about it. Thanks! I won't do anything about it. Can't be bothered with any bowel stuff anymore (getting naughty), but glad you asked and got answers. Mare mooza.