Replies
Views
Bill
‘DOIT’

(Disabled,Ostomy, Incontinence Toilet)

I have a few impassioned pleas.

On loos for disabilities.

For in my travels I have found.

Just loos designed for wheelchair bound.

Now there is nothing wrong with this.

And more of them won’t come amiss.

But wheelchairs aren’t the only thing.

That disabilities can bring.

The problems of incontinence.

Loom large in terms of prominence.

And it’s essential that the loos.

Can cater for those wayward poos.

Here, I think I ought to mention.

Ostomies that need attention.

Incontinence and ostomies.

Are different disabilities.

Their needs are not the same as those.

Who within a wheelchair pose.

But nonetheless their needs are there.

So now I think it’s time to share.

Some sort of shower I could see.

Would clean a bum or ostomy.

And if a table was quite near.

It would be handy for the gear.

We need a place to change our bags.

Or all those dirty inco-pads.

And what we need’s a proper bin.

To put our non-flushables in.

Disposable gloves would be grand.

If they were also close to hand.

These are some things I would choose.

If I designed ‘disabled’ loos.

B. Withers 2012

Past Member

Wow Bill, that's fantastic! It's just the type of poem I would have written. You are so talented. Thank you for sharing that one. Take care, Ambies.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello ambies.Thanks for your lovely comments, They are always appreciated.Best wishesBill
Past Member

This is both poetic and true, Mr. (not 'the') Bill Withers. Having a basin and tap in the same room as a loo is a start, but maybe a bidet? I know it's designed for washing bits many of us no longer use, but it does aim for the lower half rather than the top. It would be less expensive and less damageable than a shower. No shelf is really unhelpful, whatever you've gone into a 'disabled' toilet for...

eastexasrn

Wow! Very true in all respects! Guess I have been dealing with it so long, I have just made do for over 20 years! Luckily, female bathrooms do have a place to put ostomy bags (with feminine hygiene products), but I always feel guilty placing poop in there! Like a dirty diaper in a public place! LOL! I have also taken spare Walmart (or other) bags in my purse and used them to place the old appliance inside of. Over all these years, my motto is "be prepared"!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill
Hello Angelinthemaking. What a lovely title! Thanks for the post. I mentioned a bidet because I am still terribly incontinent (of mucus) despite having an ostomy - or maybe because of having it! Best wishes Bill
Bill
Hello eastexasrn.Thanks for posting I don't often go into the 'ladies' loos and I forgot that they have bins for disposables. I shouldn't feel guilty about putting soiled stuff in there as that is what they are for. I'm sure Our poo isn't any worse than that on baby diapers.I like the 'be prepared' motto It's what we had in the boy-scouts. Best wishes Bill