My First Homemade Pouch Cover: Pros and Cons

Replies
Views
Mrs.A

I have looked on the internet for covers, but to me, they were expensive and not knowing if it would be something I would use often or be beneficial for me in any way, I was not willing to pay the price. I was always interested in making a cover because the clear pouch we are all given at the hospital was so unappealing. With this in mind, I made my first pouch cover.

I have some material that I was given from a friend who knew that I liked the character displayed, but it wasn't enough to make more than maybe a pillow cover, so I saved it for whatever might come into play. And thus, my pouch cover was created. Keep in mind I am not a seamstress of any sort, but it is a relatively easy design.

I have worn it twice so far, and the first benefit I found is that it seems to be good for keeping the pouch looking new. I do not see the "pills" that I see after wearing for a few days, which I think came about from lifting and tucking in my shirt. The second benefit for me is the Velcro opening of the pouch now has an extra cover, even though it was rolled and tucked within itself before. This has made a difference because I do not have that poking I used to feel on my leg.

As far as the negative things I have found, it does nothing to help keep the air from building up within the pouch and may even hinder it from escaping. Which still leaves me looking like I am concealing something under my shirt. I am not sure, but I also think it does not help me to feel any more comfortable on hot summer days and may even be keeping the heat closer to my body than if I didn't have a cover.

I guess I will keep this blog open for now as I have not had enough experience with my cover.

Update: I am still happy with my cover but decided to make some changes in the opening to make it much easier in case of a blowout. But before I go that route, I made a "pouch pocket."

I think this is even better than the cover. I have worn it for almost a month, and it is working out much better in the sense that it is completely out of the way when I have to burp or empty my pouch as it is connected to my undergarment and slides right out when needed without much effort. Another plus is that it gives more support than the cover could ever because it is designed completely differently but yet still covers the pouch.

I hope to get back to make the different opening in the cover to see if it helps in any way.

Bill
Hello Mrs A. Thank you for your post as it was most interesting to hear about the motivation for giving it a go yourself; how things progressed and what your thoughts were in terms of alterations. It sounds as if you are enjoying the experience of experimentation. I don't use bags myself as I irrigate but I am always interested in people's experimentations no matter what they entail-- Welcome to the world of inventions! Best wishes Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,368 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Thank you, Bill. When I see my colon doc after the holidays, I am planning on asking questions about irrigation (as well as other things) and if it is right for me.

lulu1313

If you have an ileostomy, can you irrigate? If so, how often would you have to do it?

Bill
Hello lulu. From all the posts I've read it would appear that only people with colostomies can irrigate - therefore people with ileostomies cannot. This seems a great pity to me as I understand that the output tends to be more liquified and it would lend itself to exiting more easily. I believe it's something to do with the amount of colon ther is to accept the water. If it were me, I would be asking my ostomy nurse if I could give it a go -with her supervision just to see if it could work. But I tend to experiment with everything and take risks that perhaps I shouldn't at times. I would strongly recommend that you take professional advice before you attempt anything like irrigation. Best wishes Bill

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
lulu1313

I believe you are right. Thanks for replying. I was so sick when I was operated on that I was given no choices and little information. My ILO nurse is miles away and groups are also a long distance away. So much appreciate any information. Thanks again.

Ruthemma

Well done, Mrs. A. I've ordered one cheap off eBay to try first (I only have my surgery tomorrow), then if I like it, I'll attempt making some more! Well done for trying!

Mrs.A

Thank you, Ruthemma, and best wishes on a quick and steady recovery. It is really easy to make if you use a pouch for a template. Keep us posted on how your recovery is coming and if we can help.