Post-Surgery Accomplishments: The Anti-Bucket List

Replies
Views
kruzer

We all know the bucket list idea, right? Things in life we want to accomplish before we die. Movies have been made about it. Great idea. But you should not wait until you are dying to start it, but many do.

For people on this site, many were gravely ill and may have been close to dying if not for the surgery. Yes, we were saved and really given a second chance at life. And for myself, actually able to do more now that I am not chained to a bathroom! We all have more freedom now than before the surgery. Yes, there are other considerations that we have to be mindful of. But I think most would agree that we got a second chance at a better life. With that said, I wanted to start a blog about the ANTI BUCKET LIST.

This is a list of things we have done post-surgery. I know I have traveled the world since my surgery 15 years ago. No way in hell I would have done that during my ulcerative colitis days!! So let me get it started with my list. Then I want to hear from you.

ANTI BUCKET LIST accomplishments (post-surgery)

My son was born
Traveled to: Korea, Belgium, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, Germany, France, and everywhere in the USA
Snowmobile in the Northern woods of Wisconsin and the UP every year (guys trip)
Started my own business - rental properties
Watched my son win state in track - discus
Watched my son hit 3 home runs in Cooperstown.
Watched my daughter play in the softball world series.
Watched my daughter win conference in discus, long-jump, and triple jump all in the same meet.
Celebrated 20 years of marriage in NAPA VALLEY with wife and my friends from grade school.
Went to The Kentucky Derby.
Caught tires in the pit at a NASCAR race

Now tell me what you have done since your surgery??

Primeboy

This discussion reminds me of the great English poem entitled "Ulysses" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. In it, an aged king admits that he is not satisfied with all his marvelous accomplishments and will therefore bequeath his kingdom to his son Telemachus. He then gathers his old mariner buddies for some work of noble note, in spite of death's closing in all around them. His words to his ancient crew are immortalized in classical literature and worth sharing in this thread because we all have been through our crises in life but still seek to do great and greater things, and perhaps take the quality of our lives up another notch. So, here is a selection from that poem which may not appear well formatted in this blog box, but here goes... "Come, my friends, 'tis not too late to seek a newer world. Push off, and sitting well in order, smite the sounding furrows; for my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset, and the baths of all the western stars, until I die. It may be that the gulfs will wash us down: it may be we shall touch the Happy Isles, and see the great Achilles, whom we knew. Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho' we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,434 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kruzer

Well said. Thanks for sharing.

Sophie96

I climbed Snowdon! Wouldn't have even dreamed about doing that before I got my bag!

kruzer

That's awesome. Good for you. That clearly makes the list. A great sense of freedom for sure!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

My main accomplishment is 41 years of marriage, but I have also traveled to Alaska and Hawaii. In Hawaii, I got to sit on the edge of an old volcano. I have also been deer hunting and riding ORVs on the trails of the UP of Michigan.

kruzer

That's what I am talking about!!! Awesome Ron. I too have ridden the trails in the U.P. I go there in Jan/Feb and ride the snowmobile trails. One of the most pretty places on earth... Could not have dreamed of doing that with UC. But I do it all the time now.. that's the freedom I am talking about.

kruzer

That is fantastic! Many great accomplishments since your surgery. Glad you shared it with others.